Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Re: New question about dishes

We have white with a raised, flowy pattern on the edges. I like them a lot, and we got them from JC Penney. White is so versatile!

Advertisement

leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
I just ordered Corelle in the Day Dream pattern. I have wanted these for a while.
Attachment 133407
I really like that pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
This is a photo of some of our plates. I love them but we only have 3 or 4 and I can't find them. No idea where they came from :-(.

They are hand me downs of hands me downs, so they could easily be 10 or 15 years old, not sure if they even are made anymore.
Have you googled 'basketweave dishes'? I've definitely seen ones like them, but were likely similar and not the same brand.

I went with all white Fiesta recently. I've been waiting so long to upgrade and finally X-Mas gifts made it happen. I may be the only person w/ all white Fiesta dishes, but I love them. I originally got them b/c they're sturdy and being all white, they'll match other white pieces, but being the matchy-matchy person that I am, I also like Fiesta b/c if I only want to buy Fiesta brand so that the molded design (rings) matched, they have a lot of different dinnerware and serving piece options and will likely be made for a long time. Some of their colors come and go, but with them being a large producer of restaurant dishes, I think white's here to stay. I heard the gray marks caused by silverware can be removed by Wrights' Copper Cream. I bought it, but as I just found the first gray mark after over a month of heavy use, I can't report on how effective it is. If you decide to go w/ plain white dishes, you could try a restaurant supply store for possible lower prices on sturdy dishes.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
They say 'today's home' on the back and when I google that I think it takes me to a Sears page. As in, 'todays home' is sold at Sears. But them I search around on Sears pages, I can't find them so I get stuck. But I'm not opposed to just finding new ones that are similar. I do like the classic white with the raised design.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #14
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Right now we have black plates with a white swirl pattern... I fell completely in love with them when we bought them and even bought a third set later on, but what drives me crazy now is that they're no longer available, and were never available by the piece, so when a piece breaks we're just out of luck... DH and I decided that once enough of them break we'll replace it all with plain white.

The other thing I look at is that nothing looks good plated on black for some reason... but you can make just about anything look fancy plated on white!

DH really wants to get the white dishes from costco business, lol, because they are cheap, sturdy, and available by the piece.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #15
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I started looking online and found some gorgeous modern, colored, bold plates I like too. In a very minimalist kitchen, it might look nice to have one bold statement. I don't know anymore. Depends on the existing colors in the kitchen in our new house. I haven't seen it yet.
Just tired of the kids fighting over certain dishes. And apologizing for Christmas plates during the rest of the y year.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never knew there were white Fiesta dishes. Or that Costco sold business ones by the piece. Interesting. I might have made different choices had I known that.

I can tell you how frustrating it is to have a partial set you can't replace by the piece. We have been through a few sets that way. That is why we only have white Corelle now (which I have never had the issue with knife marks, even the dishes that are 40yo, IDK why) and Ball jars for glasses for daily use. Easy to replace/expand any of it.

I do still have our wedding china, but it was discontinued years ago and is terribly expensive to buy replacements on ebay/replacementsltd.com, even though they were not expensive when they were made. I was actually doing the same as you, trying to figure out what non-corelle dishes we could have for entertaining since we were missing pieces of the wedding set, when I stumbled on a random assortment of them at a thrift store for $12. They are also brightly colored, which is fun but can look dated and shows the chips more. So if you do decide to go the colored dishes route, and they are not sold by the piece or not likely to made indefinitely, then I would buy extra sets and store what you don't need now. Like if you need 8 sets, buy 12 and put four away to replace the broken ones down the road.

I think having dishes you love and that work for your family is important. We spend so much time looking at them while we eat, and dealing with them when we wash them and put them away. It's like anything else in your house, you should only have what you LOVE and use.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
mommabullfrog
Registered Users

I love my Corelle set. It's just plain white; they stack SOOO nicely and are very easy to replace when one breaks. You should visit their site; if you don't like plain white, they have some beautiful sets w/patterns. If you're looking for something minimalist, Corelle is the way to go. I have 10 plates, 6 salad plates, and 10 bowls... and they all stack into one shelf in my cupboard!
mommabullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
vibrantnotions
Registered Users

We decided on plain white to let the food shine, and for general ease. Our dishes are the bed bath and beyond brand. We love them. They look nice, they are sturdy, and they mix and match beautifully. I also like that they can go in the dishwasher, microwave, and oven.
vibrantnotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't know why but I really don't like the feel of Corelle. I prefer chunky stoneware, even if I do end up with a solid white or off-white. I definitely do plan on buying 16 sets and utilizing 8-10 daily with extras to pull out for guests and replacements.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We recently replaced all of ours with corelle winter or something like that. Its just plain white, simple, but they always have it so we can add in 10 years if we need too (My MIL has the same set from like, 20 years ago!)