Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_run_with_scissors
Im sorry your son got hurt, but i wouldnt "go after" the parents of the other boy for anything. As you stated this was an accident, if it was deliberate would probably feel differently - but it wasnt in this case.
This exactly. My son had his collar broken last year due to an incident with the neighbor boy. The neighbor boy didn't do it on purpose, he just happened to be a couple of years older and therefore bigger. We owed like $500 out of pocket for it, plus my sons pain, but never would I have asked the parents to pay for the bills, and certainly not pain and suffering. We chalked it up to an accident between kids- it happens

Advertisement

poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A child accidently injured my child

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Tell your husband he's WAY overreacting. What happened would be known as an accident. Kids were goofing around, and someone got hurt. He didn't even get hurt that badly, there aren't even stitches. No one was trying to throw rocks at your kid, no one expected your kid to be there when they were throwing rocks. Yeah, they shouldn't have been throwing rocks, but your kid probably should have watched where he was running too.

How would your DH feel if the situation were reversed. What if it was your son who threw the rock and the other kid who ran right in front of him at the wrong time?

If I were this other kid's parents, I would be livid that someone would even consider suing over something that dumb.
Exactly this. It was an accident. Kids are kids and dont' always thing before doing things.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

That is a major over the top reaction. I could MAYBE see the co pay but all the other stuff? Insane

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
milosmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son recently was injured during a "play date" at our neighbors home. It is the home of a divorced father and his two sons. We are casual friends with the father, but I have some issues with him (wich I won't go into here....). My son got a very large and major laceration above his eye wich required several stitches and has left a major scar. It happened in their living room, my son tripped during "running play" on some pillows left on the floor and fell and struck his forehead on the fireplace corner. My son just turned 5, as well as the youngest son of my neighbor.

My neighbor did not offer to help w/ any of the bills, wich in total will amount to almost $450 ($150 hospital co-pay, $50 surgeon bill, $200 hospital balance bill, and 2 $20 doctor co-pays). I had some serious mixed feelings about this for quite some time. Although it was an accident, there are some factors that I felt like should have been held somewhat accountable for what happened. I know this is a different situation than yours but my point is that after my feelings settled down, my DH and I talked about it in length. We got to a place where we accepted that accidents happen, kids are kids, and that is why we have insurance.

It is inevitable that at some point almost all our kids will get hurt, and most of the time it will be with no malice. Although we took the hit financially...I could never sue someone over something like this. My personal choice would have been to offer to split the cost with our neighbor (or the other parent), but not everyone sees things the same. With your situation, it doesn't sound like the other child had any for-seeing of what might happen and although he shouldn't have been throwing rocks, it sounds like a real true accident. So, I think with a little time...your DH will calm a bit and hopefully let it go.

Plus, as my girlfriend reminded me when I was upset about my sons injury and scar...on adult men....scar's are sexy! I hope your son is feeling better soon!
milosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's insane. It was an accident and I bet it heals nicely.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmama

It is inevitable that at some point almost all our kids will get hurt, and most of the time it will be with no malice. Although we took the hit financially...I could never sue someone over something like this
Exactly how I feel. We had to take a $500 hit financially with our son's broken bone, but it truly is inevitable that at some point our kids will get hurt. And often times other kids will be involved, since that is whom they play and spend a lot of time with. Hopefully your hubby calms down and sees things a little more rationally. Unless kids live in a bubble, they won't make it through childhood unscathed
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I wouldn't sue either. Next time it might be your kid at fault.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another accidents are accidents. I would not go after them either, probably wouldn't even say anything. My dd was injured at a friends house- broke her arm and had to have 2 surgeries including an overnight stay at the hospital. Our cost after ins ended up costing us $4000 out of pocket. We could have gone after their home insurance but we felt they didn't do anything wrong. It was a accident. It very well could have been one of the other kids there (even the home owner), it just happened to be ours. Now if it had been intentional or gross neglect that caused the injury we might have reconsidered. But for a simple accident no.

Sorry he got hurt, hope is all healed up soon.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not do anything. It was an accident.

Sorry OP.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-08-2013 at 12:53 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was an accident. I would not sue. I would be more concerned if you did sue that this would start a long line of problems between the boys. I am assuming they will have years of schooling together and something like this could cause lots of bad blood between them and the families.