Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

Can we talk homeschool?

What does your minimalist homeschool look like? I openly admit that homeschooling items are my weakness! I have made strides in minimizing, but since we are just beginning the homeschool process, I find myself wanting to hang on to some of our nonfiction books because we'll likely need them in coming months and years. We utilize the library, but I like to have some items on hand for those moments when an interest pops up. I also like to have hands on items for the littles when I'm working with Ds1. Here are a few photos of our space. Of course we learn all over the place, but I like having a school room too. This room (which is on our basement) used to be full of unused items! Minimizing helped our family gain this space for a worthwhile purpose! Hooray!

I would like to rehome the large desk and get a dinette table so everyone can work there at the same time. Right now the little kids stand on small chairs to share the desk and it doesn't work well. There is also a closet in this room where I store som puzzles, flash cards, and books that are out of rotation.

What does your space look like? Has minimalism influenced your schooling choices? How?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3719126388.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	133917   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2339167408.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	133918   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-621710318.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	133919  

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can we talk homeschool?

Our homeschool stuff isn't exactly minimilist, but I don't mind. A big part of it, though, is because my kids are spaced so that they don't do much together, which means I'm saving things for the younger ones. The book thing is hard for me because we all love books anyway. I try to keep just a couple books on each subject -- 2 books on space instead of 8, for instance. The library isn't that far away, so I can easily get there every couple of days, if I have to. Also, sometimes we just sit together and find stuff on the internet if we can't get to the library that day or we just HAVE to know the answer right then.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, your homeschool space looks amazing. We use our dining room, it's the space we have. Unfortunately it means our dining room ends up looking pretty cluttered.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I think that looks great! It is really hard to be minimalist and homeschool, but it is definitely possible. I have 5 kids, the oldest 2 are in 3rd and 1st grade, then 2 preschoolers and a toddler. We use mostly a computer curriculum for the oldest 2 for core subjects, so we have a table with computers set up for them in our school room. We have 3 computers in the room (all hand me downs from family members that upgraded), 1 for each of the older kids and then another one at a small desk for my preschoolers to do things like Starfall, etc. without messing up the older kids school work. 3 computers isn't "minimalist" probably, but overall approach is and it works wonderfully for us.

We also have 3 small bookshelves - one bookshelf with basic art supplies (paints, crayons, colored pencils, paper, scissors, glue/gluesticks, box of playdough stuff, arts and crafts books. The next bookshelf holds all the kids books with a shelf devoted to each of 3 sections: older kids fiction, little kids books, and educational (reference books and Usborne kids encyclopedias). The last bookshelf holds all our family games, puzzles, some science kits, our microscope, Ds1's legos, and a few math manipulatives. They do most of their work on the computer, but I like them to have free access to art supplies, reading books, their kids encyclopedias (they love to look things up!). It really doesn't take up much space but we use everything and have plenty to work with. I will try to add some photos later if possible.

I think how your school room looks is going to be different based on your curriculum and kids' learning styles.

Last edited by FernHollow; 02-12-2013 at 02:02 PM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote