Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's the weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
IDK about pan vs machine on cake pops, Janine. Yesterday I did the old-fashioned mix crumbled cake with frosting and roll into balls method. Which for the record I only recommend for failed cakes, not doing on purpose. For all the time it took, it would have been faster to bake them in pans. I do have a teacakes pan Janine that I have used with success, never thought to use them for cake pops. Hmmm. But that pan barely uses any batter, to use up a standard size cake recipe/mix you would need IMO 3 or 4 of them, even though the pan says 2.5 cup capacity.

I tell you what, the PITA about cake pops is the assembly. So apparently they won't stay on the stick unless you stick the sticks in melted chocolate or white chocolate first, so you have to do all that and let it set in the fridge first. THEN you can frost/decorate, which is a whole nuther can of worms depending on if you want them to dry upright or downward. The last dozen or so I was just rolling in colored sugar (which is easy with the old-school frosting-bound ones, because they are already sticky) because I just got tired of waiting for another step to dry.

One tip is that I ran out of lolly sticks at the end, and I just used plastic forks instead. They look just as nice IMHO as the sticks. I didn't have lolly bags either (if that matters to you), and I just cut sandwich bags at a 45 degree angle and they worked fine.
I've um'ed and ah'ed over than pan sooooo often Cheryl. I'd love to get it but it just seems too Christmassy to me. Is it?

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Whew. Took an hour and a half, but Ru's car is now cleaned off and the space is shovelled out. It is gorgeous out there today!

Time for lunch.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad you are enjoying the snow Mel. The roads on the way to Walmart were AWFUL, glare ice. On the way home melted.

I threw a bit of a fit on Walmart this morning. They had 8 20 item or less check stands open with two being TOTALLY empty. Then 4 regular check stands open with 10 people or more in each line. We had 30 items and I was not going to stand in a long line when check stands were wide open the clerk turned us AWAY then stalked me to show all the regular stands open. I noted they were full of people and she and the person next to here still had NO customers...I may have noted that a bit LOUDLY...anyway she tried to say she had not turned me away. I said REALLY you said I had too many items. Then looked at Jerry and suggested we just go to Safeway and the $ store. Oh wait I will check you out right now. You bet you will honey! When a check stand is sitting empty for more than 10 minutes and you have 10 customers waiting in another line, don't you thing you need to make exceptions to the 20 item or less rule. So tired of Walmart's CS. If I could get the flour I like anywhere else I would!
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It really is lovely. So sunny! I tried to take pictures but my phone is not happy with me right now. Don't know why.

Sorry about WM. we do our groceries there because it saves us quite a bit of money. But I don't like it. I want to go back to shopping at Loblaws.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am going to talk to the manager at Safeway and see if they will start carrying my flour. Safeway price matches Walmart so there is no savings at shopping at Walmart for us.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

That's just annoying...wouldn't have happened in Aldi
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow Jen, I have never been turned away at a register before. That's just straight up rude. I know a few times when I have been in that sitch, they have opened a new lane or they started taking overflow at the express lanes, but I can't be sure of what stores that happened at. I shop primarily at Meijers here because WM is not close, the Targets here do not have full groceries, and I have mentioned my challenges with the Krogers here before. The other budget grocery chains are not close, the rest are the higher-end or Whole Foods wannabes. Gotta tell ya tho I am so happy TJ is one mile away now so I don't have to deal with any of that when I am out of bananas or milk, which is often.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #28
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The kids balked at sledding, so we had them suit up to play in the snow in the back yard. We were going to build snowmen, but the snow is too powdery, it doesn't pack well. So we made a low igloo and a bunch of snow angels instead.

My brownies did not come out of the fancy pan in one piece. I had not used that pan before, and it's a cheapy, so I think it will require heavy oiling for stuff if I use it in the future. So I am trying to decide more cupcakes, or try again in a oblong pan and cut it with cookie cutters.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cheryl it is only Walmart that does this. The Safeway here is quick to open new stands and always helpful and friendly.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's what I figured. It is the same here, the staff at WM are something else. I've never had *that* happen, but I have seen some gross incompetence. I'd definitely talk to Safeway about your flour, and if they can't for whatever reason, look into Amazon because sometimes they can be the same or cheaper than a grocery store for certain things, even heavy stuff like canned goods and flour.