Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Users
Cursive Writing

At what age or grade level do you typically start cursive writing and discontinue practice on printing? I am thinking my 1st grader will be ready to start next year and want to be prepared. thanks

SAHM to DS1 (6-05) , DD1 (12-06) , DD2 (08-08), DD3 (05-10), DD4 (3-13)
knittingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Cursive Writing

2nd grade because that's when they've been interested, so far.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Registered Users

dd is in 2nd grade and they just started learning. She's really excited about it.
Becky ~ Modern Day Abolitionist and Mommy to Joshua (16), Benny (9), Gracie (8), Hannah (5) and baby boy due 6/15!

Save 15% on non-sale items at FRUGI, 100% organic and cut for cloth! Use code HARRIET
ifyousaygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

our schools i think are 3rd or 4th grade. i dont homeschool but just know each state is different. i would try when thy want to.
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, amazon-my habit, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdie
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

We are going to start with DS next year, so 1st grade but with our other children we are just going to start with cursive instead of switching them from d'nealian to cursive.
SAHM to my 3 little munchkins, married to my , and getting back to a simpler life a little more everyday.
foggierbard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm thinking we are going to wait till 3rd grade. I think anytime between 2-4th is typical though some start earlier or start with it. We are waiting because I think he needs more practice printing before moving to cursive. If he had really good penmanship now and I felt he was ready to move on, I'd start in 2nd.
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Registered Users

My dd wanted to learn cursive when she was in 1st so that is when we started. She was already a really good printer at that point. I don't think my ds will be ready in 1st though because he isn't very good at printing yet so he needs more practice with that first before I throw something else at him!
SAHM to E (5/05), C(9/07) and R (8/10)
LAF512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:
1st grade so 5 for my girls. They practice curvise but there are times I let them chose to write in crusive or print. I want them to know how to write in crusive but I mostly want them to just have neat handwriting-wether they chose mainly print or cursive when theyre older- so I encourage them to practice both
House Goddess & mama to 8 yr old princess L , 6 yr old mama magnet J and 9mos old love bug C

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Registered Users

Many of our public schools aren't teaching cursive anymore. My husband and I both print. I suspect we'll teach cursive in 1st grade but I agree with PP, I don't really care if they use it or not.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Registered Users

Good question!

I haven't started teaching my girls cursive yet and my ODD is 12 yrs old!! The reason why I am not doing much w/ cursive is because I feel like it isn't too popular. Most of the time we are typing on computers (this society that is), and when we write most people tend to print. My girls can make out the letters if it is written in cursive but really this doesn't come up too often. If my DDs start expressing an interest in cursive I will start but for now I am not planning on doing much on cursive.

It is an exciting subject for some children because it makes them feel more grown up to learn to write that way.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote