Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
SatSriAkal
Registered Users

My Mood:
Mixed Religion Family

My husband is Agnostic-Secular and I am Sikh. We are very close with both of our families who are all church-going Christian. We have no children yet, but we have decided to get involved in the Universalist-Unitarian congregation and raise our child/ren in that environment. Has anyone else ever raised their child/ren in a different faith system than you were/are part of?

Advertisement

SatSriAkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mixed Religion Family

That sounds hard! Just out of curiosity, how did you decide what you want your children to be part of, and why do you not also want to be part of that?
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
SatSriAkal
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, there was already going to be a lot of different influences pulling the kid(s) in different directions- three different answers on what we believe happens after death. Three different answers to "is there God/s? What is his/her/their name(s)?" My husband and I both grew up in Christian households and being in the MidWest, so will most of our friends and neighbors... It is really important to us that the child/ren have a stable environment to explore religion and develop morality. UU is the perfect compromise. I can continue to follow the Guru, my husband can focus on his humanist-esque life goals, our parents will be less panicked since the kid(s) will go to "church" on Sundays.. etc.
SatSriAkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #4
trulyprecious
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How has this worked out for you thus far?

My DH was raised in a very strict Christian home but is non-practicing and I am agnostic but only in the recent years have my in-laws come at us very hard with expressing their disapproval of us not practicing their exact faith. My children and I began attending a local UU worship center this year that we absolutely love but even that is being met with disdain and judgement by my in-laws. They just sent me a link to an article pointing out all that is wrong with "progressive" denominations such as Unitarian Universalist and believe all non-Christians are going to hell. I chose UU because I too want our children to have a stable environment to explore religion and spirituality without being made to feeling guilty when they ask questions. We live in a very diverse area and I have always taught them that there is beauty and value in everyone and to respect themselves, others and nature.
trulyprecious is offline   Reply With Quote