Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Ashleah143
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses

he's allergic to coconut, peanuts, all tree nuts, soy, sesame, egg, corn and tomato...so protein outside of actual meats is incredibly difficult, but he does eat a ton at dinner
He can gets a bunch of protein from green veggies or beans. I let my kids eat a unlimited amount of fruits and veggies anytime they are all healthy weights and great eaters.

Advertisement

Ashleah143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you limit food intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
he's allergic to coconut, peanuts, all tree nuts, soy, sesame, egg, corn and tomato...so protein outside of actual meats is incredibly difficult, but he does eat a ton at dinner
Allergies are tough! I'd say do plenty of cheese, yogurt, and meat then. Maybe something at breakfast like oatmeal or sausage/bacon and potatoes? Cheese cut up or cheese sticks as snacks. Yougurt could be good for snacks or breakfast. Would he eat some meat that you cook and shred up ahead of time? Like ham or chicken or turkey? My kids like to eat shredded up meat cold right out of the fridge as a snack with some fruit or cheese or bread.

Hmmmm.... this makes me want to go get some cheese out to eat.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizgrace07 View Post
Allergies are tough! I'd say do plenty of cheese, yogurt, and meat then. Maybe something at breakfast like oatmeal or sausage/bacon and potatoes? Cheese cut up or cheese sticks as snacks. Yougurt could be good for snacks or breakfast. Would he eat some meat that you cook and shred up ahead of time? Like ham or chicken or turkey? My kids like to eat shredded up meat cold right out of the fridge as a snack with some fruit or cheese or bread.

he does love cheese, and oatmeal. Maybe I can pre-make some oatmeal muffins for him to have for breakfast
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not limit food, especially if he is not eating garbage and is healthy, active ect. It amazes me how much my boys can eat some days
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Never. Milk yes but food never. Obviously we're talking healthy foods at meal times not sweets or junk.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizgrace07 View Post

Yeah, allergies are TOUGH!! You might need to think more outside the box in terms of what foods get eaten at which meal. Also, my children LOVE sunbutter (we also have peanut/tree nut allergies). Yogurt, cheese sticks and cooked meats are easy grab items for busy mornings. Even something like tuna fish or chicken salad can work. Also, maybe some sort of protein shake (check for appropriate peds usage and sugar content) with some pureed avocado mixed in for some healthy fats... It is tough... I know!

I have a tween and 7 yr old boy as well as a girl and another boy on the way. The grocery budget is AWFUL!! My oldest out eats me and often his dad and his siblings aren't far behind. I usually cook for 6-8 in hopes of some leftovers and it rarely happens anymore!

At any rate, he obviously isn't overeating and is burning up what he consumes. So, I wouldn't worry. I was just trying to help stretch your grocery money with some tricks that have worked for us!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do limit our 8 and 10 yr olds , in the sense that if the kids want seconds, I ask that they let their food settle for 15 minutes and then if they are still hungry they can have more. We definitely limit treat servings and also don't let them go crazy if we go out for pizza or any other "fast food" type food. I also think its important to teach them at potluck style events to make sure they only take what they will eat and make sure everyone is served before they go for more.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

I don't limit food (although we do limit junk). Dd eats like a linebacker, but she's TINY. However, there are occasions where she's finished a really big dinner and still says she's hungry...I will tell her to go play for 15 minutes or so and then come back if she still wants something. She almost never ends up needing something else to eat. I think sometimes it takes her body a little while to recognize the "full" signal.

I trust her to recognize what her body needs and, as long as she's getting lots of physical activity, eating mostly healthy foods, and at a healthy weight, I don't worry about it. If there comes a time when she's NOT at a healthy weight, we can worry about adjusting portion sizes then.

We also deal with tons of food allergies (including wheat, egg, fish, tree nuts, coconut, and a few more; dd has outgrown sesame, peanut, soy, and others). Have you tried quinoa? It's a high-protein grain. Whole grain pastas, breads, and brown rice are higher in protein than white varieties. Broccoli is fairly high protein, for a veg. We also do a lot of beans.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't limit fruits and vegetables. I do limit protein/starch servings because I only make so much and if you have had 2 servings of pasta I will not make more so you can eat until you feel full. If make 6 pieces of fish and one of the kids eat 2 I most certainly not let them eat a third because somebody else may want more or it will be used for lunch.
My son is a big eater, especially on the weekends when he is playing hockey. I just try to include more protein and high fibre to make him feel more full.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

I don't limit meat, vegetables, nuts, or seeds. Fruit and full fat dairy are sorta limited but available in generous quantities. Legumes, potatoes, and rice are limited. Refined sugars and wheat aren't even in our house.
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote