Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you limit food intake?

I wouldn't limit, but I would say that he can eat X amount of grain/meat/dairy and then if he's still hungry, go to town on veggies and nuts

If you're very concerned, run it by his ped

Advertisement

Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I have a big eater. My oldest is 10 and he eats 3x what Dh or I eats at a meal. I am usually shocked and watch him eat because I can't fathom putting so much food in my stomach! I always ask him when he's serving anther helping if he is still hungry. I won't cut him off unless its getting to 3rds and 4ths and showing now sign of ending. Then Ill ask him if to wait 30 minutes to allow his food to settle and if he's still hungry then he can eat more.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #33
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

My 8 year old ds eats like a man. We stopped ordering from the kids menu a long time ago. Sometimes he finishes my food when we go out to eat. He is quite tall and thin.

I do not limit per se. He is allowed one dessert a day and he can have it whenever he wants. If he wants 2 oreos with breakfast, I let him have it and he doesn't get any more for the rest of the day.

I would try to increase the protein. He is getting a lot of empty calories if he gets a lunchable, fruit snacks, crackers every day and even non sugary cereal isn't that great. I'd do some bacon or sausage for breakfast to get some protein in or even baked beans. It's a british thing to eat beans for breakfast, ds loves them for breakfast. I always cook breakfast. A bowl of cereal would only hold ds for an hour and a half. His lunches are a sandwich, fruit, veggie, and 100% juice. Sometimes I'll throw in a couple of Hershey's kisses for a treat. His school snack is usually a couple of string cheeses. I am pretty particular about his food at school because I want him to be well fed to focus at school, not full of junk.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We creatively limit. After our 6 yo has a first helping of dinner, we allow a second smaller helping of dinner,but it's a helping of EVERYTHING, not just the side dish or whatever part she prefers. If that doesn't satisfy, it's more veg. Then it's a piece of fruit. If the pit still isn't full, then it's a large glass of water. That's about as far as we usually have to to take it.

School is definitely not the place to tank up on calories. Our school lets parents come have lunch with the kids any time you want. I did it once, and I was amazed. they say the kids get 25 minutes to eat, but it's really more like 15 and then they start clearing the tables. There's no way they can eat a whole lunch! I don't blame DD for being hungry at dinner.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #35
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I limit certain things with my older kids. They are always free to eat some raw veggies or a string cheese if they aren't full after dinner. I limit cereal, pasta, potatoes, bread, crackers, etc. Does he eat fast? Sometimes waiting a few minutes lets your brain catch up with your tummy. If he is very slim though, he probably just needs the calories. I remember my (stick thin) brother often sitting down and eating an entire box of cereal in a mixing bowl when he was a teen.
I'd replace some of the lunch items. Cheese in place of cracker type item, whole fruit in place of fruit snacks. Fiber and protein will satisfy his hunger longer. If my kids have cereal for breakfast, they are looking for lunch much earlier than if they had heartier things. My 5 year old loves turkey wraps and apple slices for breakfast.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #36
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

We limit food between meals and snacks, but let them eat until satisfied otherwise. Now they can't eat all of their dinner and then have 5 biscuits, but we don't limit servings of "real" healthy foods.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #37
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fruit, veggies, lean protien I do not limit.

Sweets/junk food yes is limited.

DS1 is 6 and is skinny as a rail and always hungry. DS2 isnt far behind. I am afraid for the teenage years.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #38
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
he's allergic to coconut, peanuts, all tree nuts, soy, sesame, egg, corn and tomato...so protein outside of actual meats is incredibly difficult, but he does eat a ton at dinner
Butter? Cream? I'd definitely be upping those if you could. Ghee is also great for cooking at higher temperatures. Fat really helps with nutrient absorption and feeing satiated sooner.

I wouldn't limit his food either. But I would worry that maybe he's not absorbing all of his nutrients properly if he's eating so much but hungry all of the time.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I agree to let him eat until full if its healthy foods. Its not easy to get enough fruit and veggie calories throughout the day. Try getting him to eat more protein and healthy fats to help him feel full.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #40
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
Fruit, veggies, lean protien I do not limit.

Sweets/junk food yes is limited.

DS1 is 6 and is skinny as a rail and always hungry. DS2 isnt far behind. I am afraid for the teenage years.
Me too! I was just telling DH the other day that if this next baby is a boy (or even if he/she is a girl and eats just like her brothers) we're going to have to be rich or get another job just for the food bill ds1 is super skinny, wears skinny jeans, but is tall. ds2 is average for a almost 3 year old. Both eat all.the.time. Healthy food though so I don't care, but some days I'm just like wow, you ate more than me and I'm pregnant and always hungry!
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote