Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #41
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you limit food intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Me too! I was just telling DH the other day that if this next baby is a boy (or even if he/she is a girl and eats just like her brothers) we're going to have to be rich or get another job just for the food bill ds1 is super skinny, wears skinny jeans, but is tall. ds2 is average for a almost 3 year old. Both eat all.the.time. Healthy food though so I don't care, but some days I'm just like wow, you ate more than me and I'm pregnant and always hungry!
LOL!!! that is exactly how both my boys are. #3 ended up being a girl so we will see but she nurses a ton.

There are some days, espeically Saturdays when they seem extra hungry so I put a plate on the island and put a bunch of veggies-- carrots, broccoli, celery w/pb and raisins, cucumbers slices, pepper slices. They are allowed to eat as much of that as they want. Really cuts back on the "mom, I am soooo hungry" comments all. the. time. I also make sure they have cups down so they can get all the water they want.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #42
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizgrace07 View Post
I would let him eat till he's full for sure, unless you have reason to believe he has a weight problem.
This is my take on things too. I limit the sugary things, but we eat til kiddo is full on healthy options.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #43
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
he's allergic to coconut, peanuts, all tree nuts, soy, sesame, egg, corn and tomato...so protein outside of actual meats is incredibly difficult, but he does eat a ton at dinner
We do a lot of string cheese at our house. It has lots of protein, with some fat too.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #44
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

only if I think they're only continuing to eat only because it tastes good, like junky stuff.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #45
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Do you always do lunchables? Those are really high in sodium. Maybe you could make your own? I would also replace some of the sugar and carbs. Veggies instead of fruit snacks, something to replace the cracker item since you probably already have crackers in the lunchable. For breakfast maybe limit the cereal to one bowl and add a piece of fruit? If you're worried I would just do unlimited veggie and fruits, no seconds on anything starchy/carbs. I would up the protein too.
I do a homemade "lunchable" here using a sandwich tupperware and silicone muffin liners. I put veggies, fruit, cheese cubes, cooked chicken, dried fruit, seeds, kielbasa, etc... in the muffin liners My kids still eye the lunchables in the grocery store, but at least they have a fun and easy to eat lunch.

I find the key to getting them to eat more at lunch at school is to have it ready to eat and small bits, vs a big item, so this fits the bill.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #46
Shaunam
Registered Users

To an extent, yes. I won't deny him food if he's hungry, but I will tell him, "no more chicken, fill up on veggies", "you can wait 30 minutes until dinner", or "only fruit for a snack right now". I don't want him to feel deprived, but he's not at the age where he understands that 3 tbsp of veggies and 12 oz of meat is NOT healthy. Less meat, more veggies. No you can't eat 50 crackers for a snack, take 10 crackers and a piece of fruit. Don't eat the whole bag of goldfish. Save some food so everyone can have second/we can have leftovers. He's never been a big eater but this recent growth spurt...yowza!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #47
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Yes and no.

I portion out their plates.

Then if they eat it all, they can have seconds if they want more. I've never had them ask for thirds or more, but if they did, I am pretty sure I'd oblige.

But once they have dessert, that is the end of the meal.

They know that, though. So they don't ask for dessert until they are "full" and not wanting more of the meal. They also don't get dessert unless they've finished their meal.

So I guess yes and no??

Our schedule is really structured though. We do meal, dessert, sleep. For lunch and dinner. So, it's not like they are up and hungry for a long time. KWIM?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #48
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Me too! I was just telling DH the other day that if this next baby is a boy (or even if he/she is a girl and eats just like her brothers) we're going to have to be rich or get another job just for the food bill ds1 is super skinny, wears skinny jeans, but is tall. ds2 is average for a almost 3 year old. Both eat all.the.time. Healthy food though so I don't care, but some days I'm just like wow, you ate more than me and I'm pregnant and always hungry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
I do a homemade "lunchable" here using a sandwich tupperware and silicone muffin liners. I put veggies, fruit, cheese cubes, cooked chicken, dried fruit, seeds, kielbasa, etc... in the muffin liners My kids still eye the lunchables in the grocery store, but at least they have a fun and easy to eat lunch.
I find the key to getting them to eat more at lunch at school is to have it ready to eat and small bits, vs a big item, so this fits the bill.
This is what we do for school lunch too. Kinda a create your own lunchable. DS1 eats much better and doesn't come home starving.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #49
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
My oldest (5) eats SO MUCH. 3-4 helpings at dinner. I make very healthy, well-rounded meals, but I still wonder if I should be limiting how much he eats. I certainly don't want him to be hungry. He has breakfast (usually 2 bowls of whole grain cereal...nothing sugary), a snack at school (actual item varies, but I trust her), a lunch that we pack (lunchable--that's his treat, apple or applesauce, fruit snacks, juice, a cracker item (teddy grahams, animal crackers)), then a snack at home (varies, but usually fruit) and dinner. I always use cauliflower or sweet potatoes instead of potatoes, limit pastas, etc. Is it "safe" to let him eat til he's full??
I haven't read all the posts so maybe this has already been addressed. But you said he's allergic to soy and corn...Teddy Graham's have soy and animal crackers almost definitely have corn if not soy as well. If he's routinely eating foods that he can't tolerate that could be causing him to be super hungry. I'm allergic to corn and when I'm eating corn products I have to eat every two hours and I'm starving in between. When I quit corn I can go 4+ hours between meals. Im wondering if there is anything else he's eating that contain corn or soy....they are in everything. Corn ingredients can be disguised with allI kinds of different names so it can be hard to spot.

Also, I reread what he eats daily and it sounds pretty high in sugar (juice, fruit snacks, animal crackers, fruit). As someone who tends toward low blood sugar, eating sugary things (even fruit) causes me to need more food, since my blood sugar will spike and crash leading to extreme hunger. I would try replacing some of the sugary stuff with whole grains or.protein.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote