Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is a vacuum cleaner necessary?

Can we get by without one? It seems like an unneeded extra.

Ours is dying and it gets the most use as I work on home renovation projects... so I think we're going to get a shop vac for that-.

But should we replace the regular one if we have hardwood floors? There's a few small runners/rugs in the high-traffic areas, and one big 10x12 heavy duty rug in the living room. I don't mind sweeping the house, and shaking out the rugs outside (we do have furry pets)... but I'm not sure how to clean that big one and a regular vacuum seems excessive for just that. Are there shop vac attachments that would work?

There's several items that I think are very necessary because of tradition/habit. But the more I think about it, it seems unneeded and like something we could do without. Imagine how much space it would free up in the closet!

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I couldn't/wouldn't do wo mine. No way. I vacuum 5-6 x a day. We have all hardwood and one rug. I think em shiny
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
toys2teach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is a vacuum cleaner necessary?

If we only had hardwood floors I would get rid of the vacuum cleaner. I use a large dust mop type broom for our hardwoods ( I don't vacuum them). I think using the shop vac as you mentioned would be a perfect solution. I don't know a lot about shop vacs, but I would imagine they have attachments that would meet your needs! Enjoy your extra closet space!!!

Last edited by toys2teach; 02-10-2013 at 07:02 PM.
toys2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh I misread. I use a shop vac. My husband installs floors. That's what he uses, so me too . You can get a wand.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could just get one of those stick vacuums. We have all hardwoods but I vacuum all the time because there are no rugs/carpets to trap dirt and debris so it just gets tracked around the house.
Preggers with baby #4!

Follow me & my crazy thoughts on Wordpress
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

If you have hardwood and already have a shop vac, I would consider going without a vacuum. The only thing I could think of you might still want a vacuum for would be to vacuum the couch, but you could get slip covers or a hand held vacuum for those, if you are concerned.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have mostly tile & wood flooring & I would never dream of not using a vacuum with hospital grade filtration. Maintaining & improving the air quality within our home is a high priority of mine.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

For me, yes. Even when we lived in Thailand and had all carpet and tile, I had a canister vacuum. It is much quicker and efficient to use a vacuum that a broom and dust pan IMO.

I have a stick vac and I do like it a lot, especially for the kitchen. It is super light and does a good job for quick sweeping under the table and around the kitchen. When it comes to vacuum all the hardwoods, I still get out the canister vacuum and use that.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh a stick vac, that might be a perfect compromise with a shop vac for projects. I love this forum

Out with the sucky vacuum that doesn't suck!
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
We have mostly laminant and tile but I do have carpeted stairs that I vacuum. Also dh laid tile like 4 years ago and parts of it are STILL not grouted! So every little speck of nasty finds its way in the grooves and it must be sucked up with the hose attachment.
Havent thought about using a shop vac before. Good idea! How long is the hose?