Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ebay...Ugh!

I just sold some items on Ebay (auction ended today). Just received a message from the buyer asking if she could have her money back because she had to take her daughter to the ER, has no insurance and needs the money. How do I handle it? This is the first time I'm coming across it and I wanted to use the money towards bills myself...UGH...

Advertisement

Last edited by Skittle; 02-10-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ebay...Ugh!

Personally, I wouldn't refund. Sorry, but it's a binding sale. And she could be making up any story to get out of the buying the item!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd just refund and second chance or realist it. The battle isn't worth it and the buyer nearly always wins, so if they wanted they could return the item and try to get a full refund.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle
I just sold some items on Ebay (auction ended today). Just received a message from the buyer asking if she could have her money back because she had to take her daughter to the ER, has no insurance and needs the money. How do I handle it? This is the first time I'm coming across it and I wanted to use the money towards bills myself...UGH...
You aren't required by eBay or PayPal to refund her. If it were me - I'd do it anyway. No way do I believe her story - but I wouldn't want to mess with a flaky buyer. Denying her request for a refund could tick her off and mean you have nasty negative feedback to deal with.

You can cancel the transaction through eBay - and she'll have to confirm it. And that will recover your ebay fees for the listing. And you can refund her payment MINUS .30, which is what PayPal will charge you for refunding.

You could also contact eBay/PayPal and ask them how to proceed. See if they would work with you on deleting any possible negative feedback she might leave in retaliation?

I had someone just like this. They won the auction, then almost immediately sent me some song and dance about how poor they were and how they couldn't afford to pay. I refunded her and then left feedback "transaction cancelled at buyer's request." She was pissed - but it was true.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

im not sure what i would do. You are not required to cancel or refund. Id feel bad if she is being honest but i bet lots of people use a similar story just to get out of it
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
You aren't required by eBay or PayPal to refund her. If it were me - I'd do it anyway. No way do I believe her story - but I wouldn't want to mess with a flaky buyer. Denying her request for a refund could tick her off and mean you have nasty negative feedback to deal with.

You can cancel the transaction through eBay - and she'll have to confirm it. And that will recover your ebay fees for the listing. And you can refund her payment MINUS .30, which is what PayPal will charge you for refunding.

You could also contact eBay/PayPal and ask them how to proceed. See if they would work with you on deleting any possible negative feedback she might leave in retaliation?

I had someone just like this. They won the auction, then almost immediately sent me some song and dance about how poor they were and how they couldn't afford to pay. I refunded her and then left feedback "transaction cancelled at buyer's request." She was pissed - but it was true.
This is what I'd do. I didn't know feedback could be left for a cancelled transaction, but if I had a flaky buyer, I'd want to cease dealing with that person ASAP to avoid future headaches.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will be refunding her. You are right. I don't want to be dealing with someone who's flaky but there's also a chance that she's telling the truth. It puts my family in a bind but oh well...I hope the other bidder is still interested.

Quick questions: Do I leave the Feedback before refunding the money? Do I refund through Ebay or Paypal? If I have to refund through Paypal, will the refund be visible on Ebay and the transaction cancelled? It shows that she already paid and I don't want her to claim that I never shipped the item.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
I'd google it... see if anyone else has got the same excuse.

Honestly, my first thought was she better get insurance soon or the goverment is going to start fining her next year.

How much were the items?
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle
I will be refunding her. You are right. I don't want to be dealing with someone who's flaky but there's also a chance that she's telling the truth. It puts my family in a bind but oh well...I hope the other bidder is still interested.

Quick questions: Do I leave the Feedback before refunding the money? Do I refund through Ebay or Paypal? If I have to refund through Paypal, will the refund be visible on Ebay and the transaction cancelled? It shows that she already paid and I don't want her to claim that I never shipped the item.
Contact eBay and ask them to walk you through canceling the transaction. You refund first - minus the .30 (explain that she is responsible for the charge), then cancel the transaction. She'll have to approve the cancellation for you to get your fees recovered.

I think contacting eBay to ask them how to do it would be best. I'd hate for you to cancel and have her decline (bc she's a weirdo) and then you still be stuck with the fees. And she (as the buyer) probably wont cancel until you refund her.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
MKDMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^^^everything they said..and definitely contact ebay to let them know what is going on..

Visit my Facebook Fan page or Etsy shop!http://www.mamakaydesigns.com
http://www.facebook.com/mamakaydesigns
MKDMama is offline   Reply With Quote