Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
cpamamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkify
Non-nutrition sucking, aka comfort nursing, is very common in young babies. Some babies have a stronger suck need than others which could explain why one child of yours does this and one does not.

Is your baby throwing up? I'm talking projectile vomiting not little burp ups or vomiting regularly?
DD1 did also have a very strong suck need but with her I introduced the paci at the hospital. She was a champ nurser from day one so I had no fear giving it to her and she used it for three months. This LO was not as strong as a nurser at first which is why I just introduced the paci now. Of course now she is not so into it. Just me.

Thankfully she did tucker out at around midnight and slept until 5am without eating!

Advertisement

cpamamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
cpamamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy
From your second post, I would bet she has silent reflux. Both of my girls have had it. And it runs in families, so since your DD1 had it, that increases the likelyhood.
Yeah I will definitely be discussing with her doc on Friday.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Three and a half week old using me as paci

She doesn't have to be vomiting or spitting up a lot to have reflux -- you are right, it could be -- and sounds like -- silent reflux. You do have experience with that. I might put in a call to the doc and see if they would rx you the medicine to try a dose or two before the appointment, to see if it makes a difference -- you already know the signs. Just to soothe their tummy and throat, babies with reflux like to suck and stay on the breast to help themselves feel better. Elimination of dairy and possibly soy may be helpful as well if that doesn't turn out to be the culprit.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
It's really common. I would not assume anything is wrong.

You are not a paci! You are doing exactly as nature intended.
This.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
cpamamma
Registered Users
seller

After all that nursing she finally slept and she slept for five hours! In my bed against my boob but hey at least she did sleep. 12am till 5am. Woke to eat and slept another 3 hours. I still do suspect silent reflux but will keep watching her then discuss with the doc. Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am hoping still its a growth spurt but then it should calm down so we will see.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
katiebird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Three and a half week old using me as paci

That's fantastic, 5 hours makes you feel so much better doesn't it?? I agree I would look into silent reflux, but it may just be a growth spurt as well.
katiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
cpamamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebird
That's fantastic, 5 hours makes you feel so much better doesn't it?? I agree I would look into silent reflux, but it may just be a growth spurt as well.
Today she slept more than ate. Still shows some reflux signs tho. I will keep my eye on her and see what the next few days bring. Thanks for the support!