Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
In the past few years I have purged my shoes,makeup, jewelry & handbags. I used to be so into those items but now I'm all about comfort. I have 2 purses & 1 diaperbag. The diaperbag has been on my local FB Swap/Sell site for 7 months though & never gets used. I have 3 pairs of shoes (down from who knows how many). My once huge jewelry box was sold after I sold most of my gold. I have a tiny box now, all I wear is my gold band. I still have plenty of makeup but nothing like the huge train case full I once had. My stuff is pretty minimal & so is the baby's stuff. The other 3 that live here, not so much.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Advertisement

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: What not-so-obvious things have you decluttered?

Probably the most helpful piece of decluttering I've done that you might not think of what to streamline my housework and laundry chores. As a mama of 5 it was so easy to feel like I never got anywhere with keeping up with things. I was always doing a load of laundry or trying to clean something and never getting anywhere. After getting rid of SO much stuff I decided that I wanted to spend less time cleaning and doing laundry. Minimalism was a choice to spend more time in my life doing the things I want to and I realized that keeping up with my house was stopping that from fully happening. I didn't want to look back on my life and say "Gee, I wish I'd spent more time playing with my kids instead of scrubbing the bathroom". So I made peace with constantly going around in circles cleaning up, which was made much easier by massive downsizing of our stuff. I only ever clean on Fridays. That is my compromise and it has literally changed my life!!!

On Friday morning I wash all the family's clothing (separated by person in their own baskets to make it super easy), give the bathrooms and kitchen a quick scrub, run through the house with a microfiber cloth (and my "helpers" do the same in designated spots) and then when the clothes are dry I put all the baskets of clean laundry into my room while I finish cleaning the floors. When the house is all clean and laundry is ready to be folded I have my oldest 2 help me fold each persons' basket of laundry and then we put it all away. I probably spend about 3 hours cleaning with breaks to deal with kiddos, and folding the laundry and putting it away takes no more than 30 min for the entire house. I would MUCH rather spend part of my Friday each week dealing with this stuff and enjoy my family the rest of the week. The house stays fairly tidy because we don't have clutter and we just keep up with daily chores like wiping the counters and tables so pretty much always company ready. The amount of stress that this has relieved from me is not even describable.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

Chores: streamlining my systems.
Cleaning products.
Beauty products.
My pinterest boards and book marks.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

Here's are sitesI use to limit junk mail
https://www.catalogchoice.org
https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t
https://www.dmachoice.org
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh I also got my free credit report and went over it. We moved 5 times in 3 years, and was astonished to see about 15 different address listed. Most of them were typos (like street versus avenue). So I filed the ones that are there in error and now it's just down to an accurate list of where I've lived.

Another one we are currently working on is the electronics in the living room. DH has his beloved collection of nintendo, super nintendo, dreamcast etc... and with about a dozen systems and controllers to plug in it's a crazy cord nightmare! I've convinced him to store away the systems he never uses. We also got a better organized entertainment center and sorted through the cords. And now for his birthday he's getting a sound system that includes a receiver. I'm really excited about this because it's modern enough to have WIRELESSS back speakers, a universal remote (no more 2 remotes!), and his really confusing switch box to switch between systems will no longer be needed. I'm so happy to get it down as simple as possible with the things we actually use accessible.

Everywhere I look I find things to simplify. I've gotten a glimpse at some of my medical records when I was in the hospital and I was really tempted to go through and make sure everything listed was accurate and relevant. I hate the idea of old little things in the notes being in there to clutter it up - I want them to quickly see what's important without all the extra stuff.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Always a work in progress, and we have eliminated so much material things already, but here are a few that surprised me when they made a difference:

Dishes. I could even purge more, just haven't chosen to do so yet. I AM a hoarder in some ways, this is one way. I have it down that even if EVERY dish/bowl/cup we own is dirty, besides pots and pans, they can all fit in a "dish tub" under the kitchen sink. I love this fact as well, the dishes "out of sight" in a tiny apartment with little counter space.
Tub toys. Most of our tub toys were things like Legos anyway. Get them OUT!
Not allowing ANY toys in my living room. We have the kid's bookshelf and a basket of wooden puzzles, otherwise USE THE PLAYROOM, that's what it is for!
Facebook. Hide from newsfeed, unsubscribe, or delete anything that does not service me and/or irritates me too much! Includes people!
Email. Still work in progress to get the junk toned down. Most of the time I am also on mobile versions, which seems harder to get unsubscribed or mark things as spam.
Clothing. I'm a hoarder here too, work in progress. Part of my issue is we have no washing facilities and I have no car. I am at my friend or boyfriend's mercy to go to the laundromat, so we NEED more laundry than most families becase it may be a month before we get there! However, I have been trying to live by "if I don't care for it, pass it on" and that has toned down our laundry a lot. Stop being guilty!
Toys. Definitely a hoarding issue. Big challenge to figure out what the kids WOULD actually play with if they could see/find the parts.
Books. No more new ones until the kids finish destroying these first.
My hair! No more butt-length styles. Short, cute, low maintenance, don't snarl, and perfect length for the boyfriend to play with makes me much happier.

Here's a big one. Be VERY "picky" (in well-chosen words of course) and very precise about wishlists for birthdays/etc. My kids do NOT need half of what they own, they don't need more. My kids don't even want half the things they own, we don't want more. I make very specific lists for a lot of reasons (you Mamas likely understand.)
Simply letting the family get whatever for gifts is a TERRIBLE idea when you are trying to be more minimalistic. I do, however, ask for suggestions and weigh the decision on particular items.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great tips, Greenhome sewing!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bookmarks on puter. pictures on camera that are bad
just went thru hubbys clothing. 2 big boxes gone.
my and kids shoes. toys. old pillows and sheets

we are now doing junk mail today and I am getting rid of things to sell like dresser, extra dipes, dog kennel... it all helps. I hate clutter. makes me feel so much more at ease when I see less stuff. I have no clue how hoarders live.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bookmarks on puter. pictures on camera that are bad
just went thru hubbys clothing. 2 big boxes gone.
my and kids shoes. toys. old pillows and sheets

we are now doing junk mail today and I am getting rid of things to sell like dresser, extra dipes, dog kennel... it all helps. I hate clutter. makes me feel so much more at ease when I see less stuff. I have no clue how hoarders live.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

I also did my wardrobe in an unusual way...

In trying to be "minimalist", I resisted buying maternity clothes until my SIL's forced me to at 6 months along, because I had heard that they were expensive (true), uncomfortable (the complete opposite), and would only be used for a short time. All that ended up happening was that I stretched out my clothes so bad that two weeks post partum, they were too big for me. So I carried on with my maternity clothes, joking about how I wanted to wear them all the time, they were so comfy.

But even when I told people, they seemed surprised. Apparently, they didn't look like maternity clothes when I wasn't actually pregnant.

And so, last week, I decided: they're comfy, will fit a range of sizes, and, considering I plan on spending the next decade pregnant and/or nursing, they'll be in use more than any other clothes.

So, with DS 11mo, I went and bought more.

I do have a few bottoms (two skirts and a pair of shorts), and one blouse that aren't maternity, but other than that, I'm rocking the side runching!

And I love it! 6 tees, 4 blouses, a pair of jeans and 2 skirts. Add in my other skirts and shorts and you have my entire wardrobe!

I also decluttered my shoes - a pair of sandals for spring/summer, and a pair of boots for fall/winter. I spent good money (for me, still less than $100) so they'd be comfy enough for every day use, nice enough for church/date night, and sturdy enough to last for years.

I LOVE my minimalist wardrobe! It's so nice to know whatever weight I gain or lose, I don't have to keep switching between two or three sizes wardrobes.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote