Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
kiwibirdi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hemp and Bamboo soaker question

I'm making some inserts for pocket diapers out of hemp terry and bamboo terry because I've read they make really absorbant inserts without a lot of bulk, but I don't know how many layers I should put in each. Anyone have experience with these fabrics? I want something thick enough I don't have to double them in the pockets, but thin enough they aren't super bulky. Most of the diapers I use are Fuzzibunz or Bum Genius, with some misc. others and ones I've made. I always have to double the inserts on everything I have except the long Bum Genius ones, which fold over in the front anyway. The FB minky inserts absolutely always leak unless I put a cotton terry insert in the diaper closer to the inside.
I've read that hemp and bamboo absorb a lot more liquid without as many compression leaks, but also absorb more slowly. I was thinking about doing 2 layers of hemp or bamboo on the inside, then a layer of cotton flannel on each side as a cover. The cotton absorbs fast, and the hemp/bamboo hold a lot. I just don't know if that's enough layers though. Anyone have any advice?

Advertisement

kiwibirdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hemp and Bamboo soaker question

I would do a layer of each and make them large enough that you can tri fold them to stuff in your pockets. That will give you 6 layers but they will dry super fast.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
CheleBelle84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hemp and Bamboo soaker question

I was thinking of getting some fabric and making my own inserts too and had the same concerns re: the materials absorbing slower - wonder if you could through some microfiber layers in the there? Or that just be too much?! I really like the other mom's idea of making it into a flat of sorts and folding - I love my inserts for my heavy wetter, but hate them coming out of the dryer still damp
CheleBelle84 is offline   Reply With Quote