Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
amomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone ever knit the In Threes cardigan?? I have a sizing question!

I want to start this sweater for my DD, (she is begging me to make it for her!) but I am having a really hard time deciding on size! I always second guess myself because if I am going to take the time to make her something, I want it to fit for a while, but not be too big for her to wear now. Her chest is about 21 1/2 in. I can't decide between a 3T which translates to a chest size of 22 or a 5 which translates to a chest size of 24. I wish there were something in between! I know she is in the size range of a 3T, but I am having a hard time with that because she is growing out of a lot of her 3T clothes and is starting to wear 4T. Does that matter? Should I just stick with the 3T? FWIW, she is going to be 3 next month, weighs about 34 lbs, and is 38 inches tall. Thank you!!

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone ever knit the In Threes cardigan?? I have a sizing question!

I've not knitted it, but the pattern is designed with a bit of ease (the pattern page says the 5 will fit up to a 27" chest), so your DD should have a bit of growing room in the 3T...and it's a pretty forgiving shape. For me, knowing how I knit, & knowing that garments grow a little bit for me b/c I knit a little loose & then they need blocking, I would probably knit the 3T with a bit of extra length. My daughter's a hair bigger than yours (mostly 4T clothes, 39" & 36#) & I'd still do a lengthened 3T. But I really dislike kids' clothes being overly baggy or sloppy looking. I think the two of you will find another lovely sweater pattern that you want before she totally outgrows this one
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I've not knitted it, but the pattern is designed with a bit of ease (the pattern page says the 5 will fit up to a 27" chest), so your DD should have a bit of growing room in the 3T...and it's a pretty forgiving shape. For me, knowing how I knit, & knowing that garments grow a little bit for me b/c I knit a little loose & then they need blocking, I would probably knit the 3T with a bit of extra length. My daughter's a hair bigger than yours (mostly 4T clothes, 39" & 36#) & I'd still do a lengthened 3T. But I really dislike kids' clothes being overly baggy or sloppy looking. I think the two of you will find another lovely sweater pattern that you want before she totally outgrows this one
I agree. I knit the 12 month size and it's big around the chest and a little short on my 18 month old.
chickabiddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

By that age many children are growing up instead of out. My 60lb 9 year old can still wear the longer cut size 5 t shirts as he hasn't really expanded just gotten taller.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
amomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much ladies!! I will make the 3T and finally start it today!!