Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
mamma mia
Registered Users

My Mood:
Advice on Birth Centers

I am expecting #4 and am planning on using a birth center for the first time.

I am looking for advice/stories of you moms who have used a birth center before.

I was wondering how long you stayed (or was allowed to stay) after your little one was born and if you needed to bring any supplies for you or your baby that a hospital would normally supply.

I liked my Dr. who delivered all three of my children but I am excited as I think I will really like not needing to be made to be hooked up to an IV right away on pretty much have to lay on my back my whole labor (my first baby was by C-section and my last two have been VBACs so they take lots of extra precautions each time regardless of how long it has been since my c-section).

Advertisement

Homeschooling, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, breastfeeding, craft-lovin', mom of 3- DD1(6), DS(4), and DD2 (2) and am excited to be expecting #4 in September!

Check out my ETSY shop for mother and daughter bracelet sets and more!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/RichelleDesigns
mamma mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't had the opportunity to deliver at a birth center yet but we have one opening here soon and I've asked many of the same questions.

In the state I'm in (Arkansas) they have laws regarding births at birth centers that answer some of the questions so you may see if you can do a search for that info. I found it pretty easily on the internet in my case. A few that applied: you were only allowed to be a patient at the birth center for 24 hours including labor before being required to be transferred. Therefore your time before discharge depends on labor but it seems like the majority are discharged 6 hours after birth. Our state also doesn't allow any VBAC's but our state is pretty behind in that area so hopefully yours will be different.

I hope you get some more answers because I've also been curious regarding supplies, cost, and other things that differ from a hospital. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Advice on Birth Centers

My first two babies were born in hospitals but baby number three was born in a birth center and baby number four will be born in a birth center in a few months. I loved it! It was wonderful.

We stayed for 4 hours from the time he was born. I was ready to go home earlier but the law requires that we wait 4 hours. After he was born we had a couple of hours holding him and nursing and such. After that the midwife ran a warm herbal bath for me and she and DH got the baby cleaned and diapered and did his newborn exam while I took a bath. The only thing we had to bring that would normally be provided in a hospital was food. Well, actually, they provided yogurt and apples and cheese for you right after the birth. But if you wanted something more substantial you could bring whatever you wanted from home. I actually liked that because I brought a container of my favorite soup which I had frozen in advance just to bring to the birth center! It was sooooo good right then! They also did not send me home with disposable diapers or formula but I was glad about that.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma mia
I am expecting #4 and am planning on using a birth center for the first time.

I am looking for advice/stories of you moms who have used a birth center before.

I was wondering how long you stayed

I stay the minimum required. 4 hrs. You can stay as long as needed. They will not push you out. No one has ever stayed beyond 24 hours though

or was allowed to stay) after your little one was born and if you needed to bring any supplies for you

They Gave me a list. But also, had stuff on hand on case we forgot. But the list is simple and you get it within plenty of time.

or your baby that a hospital would normally supply.

I liked my Dr. who delivered all three of my children but I am excited as I think I will really like not needing to be made to be hooked up to an IV right away on pretty much have to lay on my back my whole labor (my first baby was by C-section and my last two have been VBACs so they take lots of extra precautions each time regardless of how long it has been since my c-section).
Written above