Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you're pro-vax or delay/selectively vax

Science based medicine will show the other side. You can only get access to the studies themselves if you have access to medical journals. I can tell by reading what the anti vaccine side says and really critically analyzing what they are saying and checking the sources where it is coming from. I catch these sources spreading lots of misinformation or really really distorting studies or cherry picking.

Advertisement

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 02-13-2013 at 01:39 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dr. Sears, The Vaccine Book!!!!! Very comprehensive and unbiased
Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't see this thread till just now. DH has researched this extensively, and knows some people that have written papers on this topic (I think). He also has a brother with autism. I will see if he can point you in the right direction tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury View Post
Science based medicine will show the other side. You can only get access to the studies themselves if you have access to medical journals. I can tell by reading what the anti vaccine side says and really critically analyzing what they are saying and checking the sources where it is coming from. I catch these sources spreading lots of misinformation or really really distorting studies or cherry picking.
ill check out SBM.

I do have access to journals through my university.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, dh (he's a board certified Ped, an on July 1 he's a full fledged neonatologist) hates the Dr Sears vaccine book. He says it's biased, inaccurate, and he really hates his schedule, because Dr Sears advocates for the kids going in for shots all the time. Dh has more to say about Dr Sears, and none of it is flattering.

Do you have a medical school near you? That's where I learned about how the immune system works, from dh's immunology text book. Once you learn about how the immune system works, you really learn a lot about how vaccines work, as well. And it's the main reason I got out of the anti-vax woo. The stuff I read on anti-vax sites about the immune system was really wrong, and in a lot of cases, just bizarre.

I know you said you didn't want to read the CDC, but they have a lot of great info, and IIRC they have references for you to look up.

Honestly, though, you will probably have to stay off the internets and go to actual paper sources, journals, medical school books, and so on. You can try Pub Med, but one study does not standard of care make, KWIM?

A little info about Dr Bob, and why he's really anti-vax: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...accinationist/
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
sunlightmlp
Registered Users

I think this study provides a good overview on the reason we vaccinate:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....ticleid=209448

A select quote:

"Results: A greater than 92% decline in cases and a 99% or greater decline in deaths due to diseases prevented by vaccines recommended before 1980 were shown for diphtheria, mumps, pertussis, and tetanus. Endemic transmission of poliovirus and measles and rubella viruses has been eliminated in the United States; smallpox has been eradicated worldwide. Declines were 80% or greater for cases and deaths of most vaccine-preventable diseases targeted since 1980 including hepatitis A, acute hepatitis B, Hib, and varicella. Declines in cases and deaths of invasive S pneumoniae were 34% and 25%, respectively."

Personally, I am not a fan of Dr. Bob. As others have suggested, Pubmed had a lot of studies; I would also look for books with good citations and peer-reviewed scientific journals. I have very strong opinions when it comes to vaccinations, but I'll reserve them for my family. I will say there is a lot of misinformation on the internet.
sunlightmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I usually wonder if those who say they don't like the Dr. Sears book have actually read it themselves. I think it is very unbiased and not at all anti-vax. It very succinctly states both sides of the argument and then his own personal views on each vax(usually for), then leaves the decision up to the reader. I'm really confused how anyone could say Dr. Bob is anti-vax when he so clearly is not.

ETA I do however think some of the things on his schedule are odd. We don't vax at all until age two, and then very slowly, so the schedule doesn't apply to us.

Last edited by lissa~K; 02-13-2013 at 09:00 AM.
lissa~K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Study on Thimerosal from vaccines and Autism:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...010-0309v1.pdf

MMR and autism:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0003140

Safety of combining DTaP, Hep B, and Polio
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...2/6/e1179.long

And if you REALLY want to dive into the science, I hope you've got some time, this one is 230 pages, but just came out one month ago, so contains the most recent info:

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?re...=13563&page=R1

Last edited by MamaLump; 02-13-2013 at 10:57 AM.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
ill check out SBM.

I do have access to journals through my university.
I was going to suggest the same. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...gory/vaccines/ is the link to their vaccine articles.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa~K View Post
I usually wonder if those who say they don't like the Dr. Sears book have actually read it themselves. I think it is very unbiased and not at all anti-vax. It very succinctly states both sides of the argument and then his own personal views on each vax(usually for), then leaves the decision up to the reader. I'm really confused how anyone could say Dr. Bob is anti-vax when he so clearly is not.

ETA I do however think some of the things on his schedule are odd. We don't vax at all until age two, and then very slowly, so the schedule doesn't apply to us.
he's clearly pro vax.