Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #31
Tresor27
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you're pro-vax or delay/selectively vax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I didn't see this thread till just now. DH has researched this extensively, and knows some people that have written papers on this topic (I think). He also has a brother with autism. I will see if he can point you in the right direction tonight or tomorrow.
Would love to know if yr hubby is pro or anti, based on all the research he's done?

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
Tresor27
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you're pro-vax or delay/selectively vax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
FWIW, dh (he's a board certified Ped, an on July 1 he's a full fledged neonatologist) hates the Dr Sears vaccine book. He says it's biased, inaccurate, and he really hates his schedule, because Dr Sears advocates for the kids going in for shots all the time. Dh has more to say about Dr Sears, and none of it is flattering.

Do you have a medical school near you? That's where I learned about how the immune system works, from dh's immunology text book. Once you learn about how the immune system works, you really learn a lot about how vaccines work, as well. And it's the main reason I got out of the anti-vax woo. The stuff I read on anti-vax sites about the immune system was really wrong, and in a lot of cases, just bizarre.

I know you said you didn't want to read the CDC, but they have a lot of great info, and IIRC they have references for you to look up.

Honestly, though, you will probably have to stay off the internets and go to actual paper sources, journals, medical school books, and so on. You can try Pub Med, but one study does not standard of care make, KWIM?

A little info about Dr Bob, and why he's really anti-vax: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...accinationist/
Ironically one of the strongest arguments i had and which is the reason we Don't vax, is what i had read about how the immune system works. It made sense to me, and yet you're saying that you were swayed in the other direction. Now i have to wonder if my research is off? I unfortunately do not have access to Pub Med or any actual hard copy that i can study...I take it your hubby is pro vax now as well? Is there any study or link that you could provide explaining about the immune system and which made you convinced that vaccines work and are safe? I thought we were pretty comfortable in the amount of research we'd done over the years, but as this is a serious and important topic i am always open to new information, even if it goes against a previously held stance.

Would greatly appreciate it!