Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Moms of many - moving out of state

Within the next four weeks or so, I will be packing up a few belongings and moving myself and my 6 year old DS & 4, 3 and 2 year old DD's about 800 miles away. Any of you have any experience with this? Is it chaotic and super stressful like I am imagining? Any advice? I am almost 16 weeks pregnant, will be around 20 weeks when we leave, and I am just desperate to make it go as smoothly as possible! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't have any experience moving with lots of kids, but just moving in general. I found it super helpful to keep a small notebook with me at all times to write down phone numbers, account numbers, dates, any info you might need to get utilities set up, kids into school, etc. When you can't find anything else, it is a lifesaver. Of course, you can probably use your cell phone for this too.

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Last year we moved 2000 miles with 8 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats. We made a goal of 500 miles a day. We made it. We stopped at rest areas to let the dogs out and kids run. We have a DVD player in the van with wireless headphones so I bought some new movies. When they got restless we stopped and let them run. We had a cooler with water bottles and I had snacks for them also. We did eat way too much fast food but we survived. I also had coloring books for them.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now
Last year we moved 2000 miles with 8 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats. We made a goal of 500 miles a day. We made it. We stopped at rest areas to let the dogs out and kids run. We have a DVD player in the van with wireless headphones so I bought some new movies. When they got restless we stopped and let them run. We had a cooler with water bottles and I had snacks for them also. We did eat way too much fast food but we survived. I also had coloring books for them.

What did you do with your cats, we are moving semi cross country this summer, about 900 miles and we have three cats and I have NO idea what to do with them. We never intended to move and we never thought all three cats would survive the winter and predators in our country setting but they did and here we are.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smblake

What did you do with your cats, we are moving semi cross country this summer, about 900 miles and we have three cats and I have NO idea what to do with them. We never intended to move and we never thought all three cats would survive the winter and predators in our country setting but they did and here we are.
We had an extra dog crate that is XL. We put them in it with a litter box that dh put down with liquid nail. We have a truck with the camper cover so put them back there in the crate. We gave them food and water when we stopped and scooped the box every night when we stopped for the night.

Last edited by 7 for now; 05-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Marie8603
Registered Users
seller

Re: Moms of many - moving out of state

We moved almost a year ago about 290 miles away from where we lived. Our kids were 6, 4 and 13 months old. I was pregnant at the time too. It was hard for my kid that was in school. We also had to move into temp. housing for a few months with none of our belongings. The only thing that made it somewhat easy is we moved to where my family lives.
Marie8603 is offline   Reply With Quote