Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

What not-so-obvious things have you decluttered?

I've been on a rampage for a while, calling the number on every piece of junk mail that comes and requesting to get off their mailing list (except for those generic post office ones that I don't think you can do anything about). And happily our junkmail is down to practically none! Although it is a little sad that several days a week there's no mail.

What other aspects of your life have you simplified that aren't so obvious?

Another one I did was compiling all of my digital pictures on the computer so it's organized by year/month, then going through ALL of them and deleting at least half. So easy to find certain pictures when needed and it's not nearly as overwhelming. I felt a little bad since those memories are lost forever, but honestly a lot of them were bad quality and duplicates. Do I really need 8 pictures of the kiddo eating a popsicle?

I've also simplified our routine and schedule to just make things more peaceful. Part of this included making things more accessible to our 1 year old so she can start doing some things for herself like reaching her own coat. And part of it is having fewer things that need to get done on a deadline. Deadlines and babies don't go well together!

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What not-so-obvious things have you decluttered?

Cut my hair off!! It was quite long, now it's a chin length bob, so much easier, way less maintenance and I feel lighter somehow.

Also gave my 3 boys a good short haircut. Less harping to get them to wash/brush it.

Unliked a heap of Facebook pages.

Regularly delete everything in my email acct.

Switched to coverlets for the kids beds instead of quilts and covers, no more stuffing!

I know there are more but over the last 6 or more months I have been trying to make changes to make my whole life simpler and easier and less cluttered.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, on the facebook purge. Not people, just businesses and other pages. And I also take a little time now and then to update settings on each friend so I don't see all of their likes, comments and games. I figure all the extra time I take in adjusting the settings minimizes my time on FB because there's less stuff I have to wade through to get to the meat & potatoes of it all.

I wish I could think of it, but there is a website you can go to to opt out of credit card mailings. I did it and haven't received one in years. I also did the same for phone books. I grab one from work when they come around.

I don't subscribe to any magazines either. Honestly, when I get a free minute I'm not going to read a magazine. I'd much rather dink around on my Kindle or the internet.

I don't wear makeup. My hairstyle is wash & wear, as are the kids'.

All of us only have one kind of socks. No matching, just pile them up. We wear them out and then throw them all away at the same time when we get new ones, so no new/old together.

There's more and I'll come back and post more if I think of them. I had a good one in my head but forgot it and it's goign to drive me nuts until I think of it now....
Old 02-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My sock drawer apparently I'm a sock hoarder...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, I remembered the last thing i was thinking about.

I only shop at 4 stores regularly. As in, I won't drive all around town for a free toothbrush. Sure, rock bottom pricing would be awesome, but I have to be real about my time, so I will spend $1 on toothpaste or $1.50 on deodorant, etc.

So I keep an eye on sales at just a few stores and can usually find everythingn I need. The 4 stores are my local grocery store, CVS, Target and Costco. And the grocery store is the only one I hit every week. The rest as needed. I don't even look at ads for any other stores.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Roll change! I have jars around the house I put change in. Find a penny here, a nickel there and it goes in a jar. Then when I feel like it I roll it and put it in my rolled stash hidden away. Maybe one day I will cash it in. At least it is some savings lol.
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
shoesundone
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need to declutter my iPod apps!!! I don't use them all
shoesundone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
toys2teach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today I went through and decluttered our medicine cabinet. There were a lot of things in their we haven't used in years or things I didn't like, but couldn't convince myself to through away. I also tossed out expired bottles of sun screen and bug spray. It will be so much easier now to find what we need! I am trying to talk hubby into purging wires/cables. We have a TON. I would like maybe 5 to 10 important ones to stay and be labeled into ziplock bags. Hmm....what else..... I got rid of a ton of make-up recently. Although no make-up would be ideal!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

Myself

I don't blow dry and straighten my hair every day like I used too and I rarely wear makeup. I used to try to do all this every day, now maybe once or twice a week. I purged a ton of my jewelry and purses because I rarely ever used them. I keep my attire simple and have purged my wardrobe significantly. Who sees me anyhow? My kids and DH, they don't care what I look like as long as I take care of them
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
My pantry. Not the amount but the variety. Do I need seven different flavors of couscous, three styles of brown rice (long grain, wild, short, or blended?), wheat salad, and different flavors of quinoa? Nope. I've narrowed it down to one kind of each. Do I need for different salad dressings when I really enjoy just plain Italian? Nope. I've found that by doing this it cuts down on clutter in the fridge to, because there's no reason to open a new bottle of dressing or marinade if they're all the same. Before I might have two or three different dressings open and they wouldn't get used up. Saves money. I used to have two or three kinds of milk too. Coconut, dairy, almond. Now just coconut. Last night I had to make flounder with Spanish Rice and it tasted weird, because I didn't have plain brown rice. It was the last one I had to use up.

It doesn't help much with the amount of stuff in the pantry. But this new approach cuts down on chaos, having to figure out which flavors to buy, which one to use, reading every label at dinnertime, having to remember when each food item was opened and when it goes bad...
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote