Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Re: What About the Sentimental & Keepsake Stuff?

The other thing I thought of is to go through your pile of sentimental stuff every 6 months or every year. Often, I'm not ready to part with something now, but a year later I am. This helps me only keep the really important stuff.

Advertisement

leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, all! I do have a tote of things *I* kept from my childhood, but it's full. I need to go through it and perhaps do a little purging to make room for some other things that I'm wanting to keep.

Ideally, I'd like to get my hands on a scanner and upload all my pictures onto my computer. Do they even sell those anymore? It would be a big project, but worth it. I admit, though, that I very much enjoyed going through my mom's big box of pictures, pulling out stuff in a random order and laughing over it all.

If I think about it....DH does not have anything really from his childhood. Either his mom didn't save anything or he lost it along the way. The one thing I would really love from his childhood is more pictures. With that in mind, I think I can find a pretty clear line between keep and purge. Basically, what would be interesting to future generations? Pictures, yes. Writing, yes. Baby bonnet, no.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

This one's a toughie for me. I've been fairly ruthless with the stuff around the house. But so far it's all been stuff that I could replace if I needed to. It's the stuff that I wouldn't be able to replace that gets me. So I haven't really done anything with it yet.

I've gone through and did get rid of some stuff that seemed excessive. I also found some rejection letters and things that I have no idea why I hung onto - I didn't need those! You don't HAVE to get rid of them right now. For those special gifts from loved ones and things, you only get one chance to purge them... so I'm waiting until I really feel ready to let go. But I did get rid of some of the excessive stuff and it's really not that much left, so I don't mind hanging onto it for now.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am an avid fan of taking pictures of memorabilia I don't really want to store. I don't scrapbook at all, so when I have ticket stubs or whatever from a special trip, I take a picture and include it with the photos from that vacation. I take pictures of the kids' artwork. For every person special to me that has passed away, I keep one small momento only. Like for grandma, I have a cup she painted. And I keep those items on one shelf so they are displayed for me to see.

As for scanners, they still do sell all-in-one printer/scanners, but I have noticed places like Costco now offer photo scanning services. I have no idea how much they cost, but as someone who has scanned a lot of old photos, I would say it would be worth the money because it takes so freaking long to do it.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
You mentioned cards. I go through cards and get rid of any that don't have personal messages in them. Like I love seeing my grandmother's handwriting, but I don't need 30 cards from her, just the ones w/ special messages that she, not Hallmark, thought of.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just wanted to update quick on how the sort & purge went....

I had a box of stuff my mom saved, my own tote of stuff, and a baby wipe tub full of ticket stubs & other little quirky things.

The first thing I did was get rid of any item that I couldn't remember what it was from. Easy. Then I got rid of all the clothing & misc my mom had saved. It didn't mean anything to me & it wasn't useful or pretty so it went. I threw out a bunch of cards and the duplicates of my thesis.

I didn't do anything with photos. I kept all my writing from high school & all my yearbook's & a good pile of artwork and awards. Mostly because I enjoyed looking through it. Those were the best years of my lifex!!

A couple of things are still sitting in the "deciding" pile. Negatives. What to do with negatives? A 4H t shirt my kids will probably be able to use someday. A drawing I did & am proud of but looking at it reminds me of my mean aunt & uncle. A large collection of charms from my late aunt...and a disgustingly large postcard collection....

So I made a good bit of progress but I'm still undecided on a few things.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

Great job!I need renewed motivation on purging
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OP, you can have negatives scanned onto a disc to keep. You can also buy a negative scanner, but I don't know the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
<snip> For every person special to me that has passed away, I keep one small momento only. Like for grandma, I have a cup she painted. And I keep those items on one shelf so they are displayed for me to see.
I do the same. I have one small shelf in my bedroom that has a knick knack for deaths of loved ones, our wedding cake topper and a figurine from each of my childrens births.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I have one rubbermaid tote that I put sentimental items in. I got rid of 99% of the stuff that had been given to me that was supposed to be sentimental, but just really wasn't. I had kept a few baby clothes from each of my kids, until dh's mom gave us a bunch of hand me downs that were dh's for our youngest. They all smelled like old clothes and it actually creeped dh out that she wanted our son to wear them. He felt like she was trying to recreate his childhood. Hearing that from him totally removed any desire to keep baby clothes to give to our kids someday. I kept a ziploc with each of their newborn hats from when they were born and 1 baby gown that says "If only they could stay little until their Carter's wear out", which each of my babies wore. That saying always put it in perspective for me of how fast babies grow! I had a serious problem holding on to their baby stuff, but it felt great to realize that I have photos and memories and that is enough.

Beyond the tiny bit of baby items I have, I have the crystal tiara I wore on my wedding day (for my dd someday if she wants it, since I got rid of my wedding dress), dh's dried boutinere frm our wedding (takes up less space than my bouquet would have), a stack of photos that I need to digitize and a few special mementos from my childhood. The box has tons of space in it at this point. I realized it is just stuff and could be gone tomorrow. I would rather spend my time making memories with my family than digging through piles of memorabilia from the past.

Last edited by FernHollow; 02-22-2013 at 08:14 AM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would rather spend my time making memories with my family than digging through piles of memorabilia from the past.

So true. In particular, some of the "sentimental" stuff from more distant relatives would take a lot of time to sort and decipher. I need to take a long look at what all I have and decide if it's worth it. I don't need a shoebox full of mementos for one dead aunt. Bottom line - what will future generations be interested in seeing from their parent's grandparents past?