|Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|03-12-2013, 09:18 AM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2013
Some questions for starting a side-business
I have a job outside of the home, but I love to sew and have been working on a pattern for a OS diaper that I am really excited about. It's way far from testing/selling, but I want to start considering if this is going to be something I do just for my family, or for sale. I would LOVE to sell on the side, but I need some advice. If anyone could answer some questions for me, I would really appreciate it!
1) How do you decide how to price your diapers? When I look at WAHM Etsy shops, it seems like it's all over the board on pricing. On the one hand, a lower price could attract new customers, on the other hand, I don't want to lose money!
2) How much time does it usually take you to construct one diaper once you get over the initial learning curve? Right now, I'm obviously still tweaking my design and cutting one at a time, so I can't price based on it taking me three hours to do one diaper!
3) Taxes... uh, yikes. I'm actually not even sure how to handle this one - what do you do about taxes (like income, not sales)? Do you get any tax benefits when you do your filing in April?
4) Is Etsy a good place to start?
5) Do you make a stash of diapers and try to sell, or do you make everything "to order?"
I have a 16 mo old and a new baby coming in the fall, so I'll have a two-yr old AND a newborn at home to check my sizing and fit, which is exciting!
Or if there is a link to a place where some/all of this was discussed, please show me! I tried to search, but my internet is not behaving.