Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can we EC just for poopy?

Now that we've started solids my LO's BMs are no longer washing machine friendly as you know. She also doesn't seem to like to poop while wearing a diaper. When she needs to poop she starts fussing and grunting and I open up her diaper and she goes on the prefold. I wasn't trying to do EC initially, but this is what she seems to want. I don't think she likes the mushy poo touching her. Plus she goes so much because she saves it all up for once a day that I don't think the diaper would contain it anyway. Thoughts? I'm not really interested in doing EC for potty until she's crawling though. Thanks.

Advertisement

MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can we EC just for poopy?

Absolutely! When I got pregnant with this babe, we switched to just EC for #2 with Itsy instead of full time because I couldn't keep up with her signals. We're working on PTing now, but it's so helpful that she's already #2 PTed.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

A few added thoughts: come up with a code word that you use each time she poops. Repeat it when she's eliminating. If she's still little enough to be in arms, I highly recommend the EC store little potty, but honestly, we just used a garbage can with Ladybug.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs
A few added thoughts: come up with a code word that you use each time she poops. Repeat it when she's eliminating. If she's still little enough to be in arms, I highly recommend the EC store little potty, but honestly, we just used a garbage can with Ladybug.
I've been saying Sophie go poop poop and she laughs at me and goes on the prefold. Not
All the time, but a lot of the time. Shes been having constipation issues lately from a med change, but I'm hoping to have that worked out before the weekend is over. I use liners for easy clean up, but holding her over a potty would be even easier clean up. I'll try holding her over the garbage can and see what happens.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
I've been saying Sophie go poop poop and she laughs at me and goes on the prefold. Not
All the time, but a lot of the time. Shes been having constipation issues lately from a med change, but I'm hoping to have that worked out before the weekend is over. I use liners for easy clean up, but holding her over a potty would be even easier clean up. I'll try holding her over the garbage can and see what happens.
You're starting out great! For constipation, it really helps to massage the tummy first and then put those knees up towards the abdomen while you're holding them. I've also followed Dr. Sears's recommendation of the occasional glycerin suppository (I've always gotten the infant sized and cut them in half).

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
maliroo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
Yes! I only changed a handful of poopy diapers from 12 month up! Waaaay easier to tell when she was going to go, therefore better communication op.
We came up with a sign where we tapped the side of our head as we said 'pot pot' ( easier for an infant than the ASL sign) She was signing potty before she could talk
And the little potty is awesome!! We have a Baby Bjorn.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Go for it! Although, you may love it so much, you start doing pees, too
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmare
Go for it! Although, you may love it so much, you start doing pees, too
I'm hoping Washing poopy diapers just isn't my idea of fun and if I can get her to pee in the potty too that would be awesome.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep! I did some EC while DS was a little babe and I just couldn't keep up with it. Around 6 months when he started having "real" poop I couldn't afford a diaper sprayer so I just started doing EC. I still can't tell if he's going to pee but he comes up to me now and grunts when he needs to poop (he's 14 months) he will even hold for a little bit if we are in the car and I can't pull over. He has pooped on the side of the road in a lot of places!
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, we're doing this at the moment. I am too busy to catch pee as well, but i don't mind cleaning pee, it's poo that is gross! So after each meal if I think she is due for one or if she starts farting I'll stick her on the toilet. Or if I notice her pushing. For the last 2 months we have probably only had a handful in her diaper. Most of them have been in the toilet, and she loves it too.