Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whats wrong with my dd?

RAST (blood) on babies isn't so accurate either I've heard

1 enema won't clear the colon, or the small bowel. Hard to do null by mouth + bowel prep on a baby though

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
carolinaem
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Biopsies of the intestinal tract are the main way to diagnose celiacs. Based on your description of your daughter's symptoms I would not surprised if that is what they are testing her for. Don't change her diet until instructed because you don't want any type of false or misleading information when the are attempting the diagnosis. Have the doctors not discussed with you what they were specifically testing for and looking for with their biopsies? Start asking tons of questions mama. You are her best advocate!!
carolinaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeneely View Post
I would get her off all of that wheat, first of all. She may be Celiac!
If they are already doing a biopsy of her gut, that is the only way to confirm Celiac 100%.
How old is she?
Yes, IF your doc agrees, and only AFTER all the testing is done, I would stop ALL foods except her Alimentum, even eliminate the oatmeal in the bottle. The are all kinds of crazy additives in Gerber Puffs and Ritz crackers and baby oatmeal--the last thing she needs are more irritants.

Babies are perfectly healthy on just formula or breastmilk until they turn 2, so no need for "real" food yet. My nephew drank up to 60 oz of formula a day when he was 18 months and not on solids yet. THEN as the allergist/pediatrician recommends, based on her test results, you would very gradually introduce solid foods. But only whole foods, not processed stuff like crackers or puffs.

Did her symptoms get especially severe when she started eating solid foods?

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-12-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
She's always had the symptoms but then again the ped has always had us add something to her formula for her severe reflux since baby zantac didn't work. First it wa rice then oatmeal when she couldn't handle the rice. They didn't tell me everything they were testing for and since i have 4 other kids and they never had any issues I never knew what to ask. I'm worried about her though. She's still not awake on way home she woke up ay hospital for 30 minutes and still nothing to eat. Her temp was 97.6 when we got there which is normal for her but when she got out of gi scope it wad 96.2 and still she's cold even with a blanket...
Dr just said her gritty esophagus is weird to her and the balls with blood were weird.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

they let her go home, still alseep, cold and not eating? How long of a drive do you have? do you have a local hospital?

there are agents to thicken milk that are wheat free and other things besides zantac. I hope they figure this out
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok we are home now and she has a bad stomach with poop everywhere. Finally got her to eat temp up spittle to 99 now but she's cranky...which I expected. They said if I had problems to call but we had to drive 4 hours there...so I'd take her to the local er and explain to them or tell them the Dr and phone number. Can I buy the thickening things myself???
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I see them at walgreens here. In the UK there is something called carobel, google it, I'm sure online you can find it
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok thank you I'll take a look...I appreciate all your advice ladies
Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

It really sounds to me like there is an undiagnosed allergy. Possibly to wheat? Or maybe corn? Everything you listed she eats has corn in it.. I'm so sorry you're going through this, I hope you get some answers and she can feel better. Poor lo. Are you seeing a special allergist or is this all through her pediatrician?
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #20
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
All she sees is her ped which referred us finally to the gi Dr this month and a dermatologist. I am gonna be on pins and needles for 8-10 days til I get her results...