Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Our Grandmothers used Lard Soap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
While that may have been the typical laundry soap used back in the day, they also boiled their diapers and sunned them. Likely the boiling counteracted the residue of that goes with using a true soap and high water temps are known to help whiten during the cleaning process. In Europe chlorine bleach is not commonly used these days and super high temp wash cycles in FL washers are used for white laundry instead. It wouldn't surprise me that lard was used to prevent diaper rash at all, I have used palm shortening for diaper rashes and it has a similar consistency.
This is what I was thinking. Yes they used lard soap but they also boiled their clothing and diapers. They also hung to dry summer and winter. Now I wash my diapers at 140 degrees but that is the hottest my water heater will go. I don't use PUL diaper or covers though so it is only cotton, hemp, and some bamboo in my washer.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks

This may be somewhat off topic, but this caught my attention. As our family tries to consume mostly whole foods, I've been reading and researching dietary fats a lot lately. There is a lot of research talking about how much healthier unrefined fats (including butter and even lard!) are than refined fats - shortening and even refined soybean corn canola oils, etc. Basically what the reports are showing is that before the introduction of refined fats, heart disease was virtually unheard of and that we should use only unrefined fats for health. Now, I haven't made the plunge and actually bought lard, but I have been using more butter and coconut oil in our eating and haven't gained the weight I was fearful of. I would love to hear of anyone actually uses lard and their experience with it!
We use lard regularly in high heat cooking. We otherwise only use butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. Be sure not to buy the shelf stable lard from the grocery store, it is hydrogenated. You want to get it from the farmers market, or render your own (which is really easy).

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote