Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Animal Shares?

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing animal shares? We have the opportunity to buy shares of grass fed animals from a local farm. It's 1/2 pig, 1/4 cow or 25 chickens/year. I am just trying to figure out how much food that each option will be. (Freezer space is not an issue.)

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Animal Shares?

We got a half a pig, half a cow, and a whole lamb and filled our freezer... to the point that DH lost a chicken in it. http://www.ourunplannedlife.com/2012...l-of-food.html This shows how much that is that we got.

A 1/4 of a cow isn't much, and honestly half a pig isn't much either. We have 3 people in our family and a half a cow lasted us about 18 months, and half a pig about 6 months. The lamb was new to us. We got 10 pastured chickens last January (not just passed but 2012) and that lasted us about 11 months. DH loves meat though so take that for what it is worth. DS also eats what I eat (portion wise).

Good luck!