Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
lingon
Registered Users
seller

allergic baby needs cotton breathable covers/clothing?

First quick question:
We are a fan of diaper covers that use velcro - do you know of any breathable cotton velcro covers?

Longer questions:
My dd is almost 4 months, ebf, and has had a rash on her face, neck, and bum most of her life. (Bum rash is around her girly parts, and pediatrician said it wasn't yeast.) We have struggled with food sensitivity, so much so that I'm limited to eating about 10 foods, and she still is peeing about every 15 minutes, without cueing. (We do part time EC) Before food eliminations, she used to spit up large amounts every 10 minutes but now she's down to about one spitup every feeding and it's just a glob.

Anyway, we now think she's allergic to anything not cotton, though we're not sure about wool or silk. Rashes take so long to heal up and she takes a few days to react, so it's hard to tell. We use cotton flats against her skin, then usually a mf and then a fleece breathable cover. We spray her bum with warm water for cleaning. I make a coconut oil/shea butter lotion that we use on her face and bum. We haven't noticed a difference when we don't use it, but we're not sure that she's not allergic to that as well, just don't know what else to use. We use sposies at night with desitin, and even the 7th gen sposies still give her a rash at the elastic area, but using cloth at night is worse. She wakes up 1-2 times a night to nurse, and we change her one time in the night. Rarely does she poop in her diaper, but she pees so often that I can't always keep up with changing her every 15 minutes, and of course not when she's napping.

Any suggestions?

In your experience, is it just the layer touching baby's skin that can cause a reaction, or is it anything on their body?

What can I do for clothing? All the 100% cotton baby clothes are "exclusive of decoration" so I think the edging around the neckline is NOT cotton, part of what I think is causing her neck rash. Plus the thread used to sew it is probably polyester, and since the seams are serged, there's a lot of thread contact with her skin, so a cotton turtleneck wouldn't work.

How can I find an allergist that will actually help me eliminate potential problems instead of just want to give her drugs or tell me she'll grow out of it?

Thank you all!

Advertisement

lingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: allergic baby needs cotton breathable covers/clothing?

Well I guess I would do cotton prefolds, make or have a friend or family member make her some all cotton shirts using cotton thread. If at all possible stay home until all rashes are gone so she can go coverless. Don't use anything you aren't absolutely sure she isn't allergic to. Then for naps and nights perhaps lay large prefolds under her so you can just slide one out and a fresh one back under her. This way you can change her while she sleeps and not disturb her very much. I have read some mamas say even when lined with cotton their babies would react to PUL.

Once you finally have her rash free then try a wool cover. The problem is going to be what the wool was sewn in. You may need to have a hand knit or crocheted cover made for her to avoid synthetic thread. Now using only wool and cotton still stay home and wait and see if she reacts to the wool. If she doesn't I would go ahead and get her an all wool and cotton wardrobe. If money is an issue you can try for upcycled wool and look for wool thread online. I have seen it sold. Upcycled wool is nice because once you felt it, it is machine washable and really, really easy to care for.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

As for the allergist I don't know anything about that. I am sorry I wish o could help you more.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
lingon
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!

Part of our problem is that we keep our house cold, with a baby in the house we turn the thermostat up to 62 all the time. So I can't leave her diaper area exposed for easy changing without very warm leggings - which I guess would have to be cotton lined wool, perhaps, but I don't know how to sew some that would stay on since they're not stretchy.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nikky offers a breathable cotton cover w/velcro I think the cotton is coated with Teflon though.

Does she have eczema, is that the type of rash? With us, my DS1 just had to "outgrow it". I kept him moisturized, my favorite lotion was ShiKai Pediatric Formula. Our ped encouraged us to dress him in cotton clothing because it would keep him the coolest and breathe well. He wore sposies full time (I was ignorant of how awesome cloth diapers can be) and TONS of Desitin cream. I didn't look into food allergies, but we now know that he is allergic to peanuts and dogs (he's 8).

For her diaper area, try something that will be a better barrier. I really like Bodreaux's All Natural Butt Paste. It's very sticky, so you only need a very thin layer. But it won't rub off easily like I imagine the Coconut/Shea might. I also find that Jojoba Oil is VERY moisturizing, so that might be a good addition to the Coconut/Shea...it's also liquid at room temp (unlike the coconut/shea)

ETA -- are you sure the rash is from clothing? With the eczema, it was more about keeping his skin cool/not sweaty than a particular fabric irritating him.

Last edited by boysniris; 02-12-2013 at 11:37 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you afford to up the temp while figuring out if she can tolerate wool? It would just be for a couple of weeks. This way you can let her be uncovered some. Otherwise can you get her all cotton blankets cutting off the edge and cover her with those. During nap and night changes you probably would need to change those as well so you would need quite a few of them.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
lingon
Registered Users
seller

The pediatrician said it was eczema, and it looks like it, but it is only on her face and neck, and it comes and goes drastically, and it is only where her face sticks out - where it is most in contact with whatever. So by her temples and in the very middle of her forehead, where there are low spots, she has perfectly clear skin. My (un-knowledgeable) theory is that growing out of it is more growing out of the allergy that caused it in the first place, instead of growing out of eczema itself. My dd1 grew out of her milk sensitivity at about one year, so we're hoping for that.

We could afford to turn up the temp (I wonder if we'd be able to go back to the cold after getting used to the hot) I'm also not sure how hot it would have to be before she'd be comfortable naked bum? 70?

eta - I don't think it's sweaty, as there were a few nights when she kept waking up every 30 min, and we finally figured that it was because she was too cold, and put two more layers on her, and then she did fine. And we didn't notice a difference rash wise. I also check at night feedings to make sure she's not sweaty, since I'm terrified of SIDS and overheating is one risk factor. Would her neck in front be the most sweaty spot? I would think around the diaper waist elastic would be more likely to get eczema due to sweaty/not breathing - did your little one have eczema there?

Last edited by lingon; 02-12-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

We saw a naturopath, not an immunologist or allergist. Our naturopath has helped our kiddo outgrow several allergies in a few months where the MDs only wanted to deal with the most obvious reactions.

Cerave has been a the best for our eczema, but you may need to call and verify that they don't use soy, or whatever LO is sensitive to.

It's possible it isn't the fibers of the clothing but the degree to which they fail to breathe or let go of detergent residue. Therefore, poly thread should be OK. And t shirt trim is usually a cotton rib knit. Used clothing may be better as the chemicals from fabric making have broken down.

Poly fleece could be a great cover but lots of it is recycled or has odd chemicals on it. You could ask a wahm if she has non recycled Malden Mills fleece.

Wool is likely a good choice, lanolin is good for eczema too usually. But it's possible that will be a problem too. Sounds so frustrating!

I suggest emailing Karen at Green Mountain Diapers. It seems like she's heard of, and helped solve, everything.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I agree with the pp suggesting Shikai lotion. That stuff has been an absolute MIRACLE for my 18mo that was covered in eczema since he was a newborn. Also, have you considered that this may be related to whatever detergent you are using? I would suggest if you are not already, use something very clean rinsing like Country Save, then do an extra rinse. When he was tiny we had been using Tide powder detergent and his entire body had eczema, even on his face where he would touch someone's shirt or a blanket. When we switched to at least a mainstream free and clear detergent it was better, but still there. We had the best results going with a natural free and clear detergent like Country Save or 7th generation F&C.

Also, my 18mo has broken out in eczema in his diaper area if we do not use organic cotton. No stay dry EVER, he breaks out terribly. Any conventional cotton, even washed well has caused a reaction. I've tried it repeatedly and he always reacts, so I guess he must be sensitive to something in it. We keep him in organic cotton clothing as much as possible (not always though), but the worst area for him was the diaper area whenever the diaper would be wet.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My older dd is sensitive to synthetics, enough so that when she was little a shirt I he on that was 95%cotton and 5% spandex was enough to break her out. We use only cotton silk or wool now with no issues. She also has multiple food sensitivities. Look into latex cross sensitivities, that really helpe us figure out some of her strange ones (like banana).