Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
MomBecks
Registered Users

Re: allergic baby needs cotton breathable covers/clothing?

Hannah Andersson makes some awesome baby clothes that are organic cotton! Also if your LO can do wool, Disana sleep sacks are wonderful and would keep your LO warm. I'd suggest a naturopath too as they tend to look at how many things are interacting in your LO. My allergist just looks from A to B if you know what I mean.
Sounds like you're dealing with a lot Mama! Hugs

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
lingon
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all! It is so helpful to have some things to try. She looks worse this morning, and it seems itchy to her. My poor girl.

I'm going to try to find a naturopath, it sure seems like we need that. I haven't ever been to anything other than a mainstream, insurance covered doctor, so I have no idea how to go about this.

The Shikai Borage Pediatric formula has alcohol in the ingredient list - did you find that it stings when put on raw skin? Our Meijer is supposed to carry it, would it be in the lotion aisle or the baby aisle? (my husband would love more specific instructions)

We have used country save (we have a front loader), but it didn't seem to get the dipes as clean as I wanted (they still smelled a little farm/mildew like) so I went back to our liquid ECOS and washing powder routine. (It looks like country save is mostly washing powder, anyway.) We use the same thing for her clothing, and always extra rinse. When the rash first got bad, I stripped in canning pots of boiling water on the stove, and I was surprised how little foaming, etc, there was, which made me think that detergent residue isn't an issue.

Almost all our clothing is second hand, and a lot is homemade, which could be good, or there could be weird residues left on it. Maybe I need to strip the clothing? But yet, the eczema is only her face and neck, so there must be something else going on in that location, unless that skin is just much more prone to it?
lingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As for country save. I would still use it by dilute it in warm water and poor it into the soap dispenser. Use more of it then the box says.

GL
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son never cried when I applied ShiKai, so I suspect it doesn't sting. I know Aveeno would sting IDK which aisle you'd find it though, I had to buy ours online. I don't think I applied it to raw skin though.

With my son, I would put hydrocortisone on the really bad, raw areas per our peditrician instructions. Just 1-2x day. It always cleared up the eczema within a couple days. Once he was clear, I used the ShiKai like a preventative lotion, not a treatment.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I saw you are using coconut oil. My DS has lots of skin sensitivities & allergies. I can not use straight or a high concentration of coconut oil on him. it makes his skin much worse. I can however use a salve on him (cj's unscented butter) that has a smaller concentration of coconut oil.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
lingon
Registered Users
seller

Thought I would post an update.

The shikai borage lotion is wonderful - we notice a huge difference when we put it on her rash every 6 hours or so. It helps it heal faster, and helps keep it away.

The diaper rash is better with country save, predissolved, and not using coconut oil lotion. Which means we're actually not using any lotion on her bum during the day, since I think only olive oil would be safe, and that doesn't seem to help much.

Thank you all so much.
lingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
mommyamb
Registered Users
seller

Oh, mama, I know what you're going through. my 3 y.o. is a highly allergic child. He gets better and better as he gets older. He had horrible eczema as a baby, (still has eczema but its much much better!!) blood in his stool, gerd, was a fussy/ unhappy baby. He had a very scary reaction @ 4 mo. (required Epi- we have carried an EpiPen since)

It's been trial and error with him. We know he's highly allergic to milk; sensitive to wheat, soy, sweet potatoes, and peas. He also has asthma, but it's getting better as he gets older.

I just wanted to let you know I know what you're going through.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
Shaylee
Registered Users

I just wanted to add that you can go coverless with cotton pants if you are just hanging out at home. Yes, the pants will get wet but they can just go into the wash. Bonus that you do part time ECing, because you already know her cues. Can you pick up a bunch of cotton pants at a consignment shop just for this scenario?

Also, we use 7th Gen at night too. I slather on the Aquaphor for a wetness barrier. The $15 tub lasts forever. I would not recomend the tube because you will need to cut the top off to get the last few ounces out.

Also, glad to see in your update that you are seeing improvement.
Shaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #19
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read whole thread (will in the morning), but greenline covers are cotton and breathable. Totally cute too. They're aplix and one size. You can put any type of prefold, flat or fitten under it.

I agree with pp who said her fam used a naturopath. Us too. Helped our little ones body to heal rather than managing symptoms. I will add more en la manana.

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, but check out dharmatrading.com. They sell clothing for dyeing, so it is 100% cotton with 100% cotton thread. You'd probably need to stick to the white / natural pieces, because those are intended for dyeing, thus the cotton thread. They have colored pieces too but don't say what kind of thread is used for those, though I'm sure you could email them to ask. They aren't very expensive either. Just another thought to check out :-) Hoping baby girl continues to improve!