Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #41
Registered Users
Re: COCONUT OIL, and what I discovered about rashes and yeast

Originally Posted by wisa03 View Post
I don't get it! I always hear all these amazing testimonials, but it never helps with our rashes, at all - neither does CJ's (both of which I still love, by the way, but not for rash prevention/healing) - we ended up using desitin (ugh) and the grovia disposable inserts til it went away, because it was fully open wounds and it just broke my heart... we were changing her constantly - mostly letting her run naked, but it just wasn't having it. Sometimes those rashes can be so persistent! I'm terrified of getting a yeast rash... will definitely break the coconut oil out again just to try if we do. For now, it keeps her busy with something to hold while I change her diaper
Oh, your poor baby! I'm not trying to diagnose, but my experience has been that is there is broken skin it is a yeast least this is the information I got from my DD's pediatrician. And if it is persistent, you really need to sanitize those diapers because the yeast stays there until you kill it. Chlorine bleach and COLD water does it for us. But then you have to make SURE the yeast rash is gone (from your baby's bottom) before you use the clean diapers, otherwise it will ALL come back. And NEVER double dip your finger in the coconut oil because you don't want to run the risk of contaminating the whole tub!

For us, when the rash got to the point of peeling broken skin (and it has NOT since using coconut oil every day) we used cotton prefolds or disposables with prescription niastatin for a day or two. We also had to stop using store bought wipes because it was causing more irritation. The coconut oil really helps to PREVENT rash or help stop one from really getting out of control. I agree with the other ladies who said it doesn't cure full blown rashes (peeling skin, etc) very well.

Last edited by nikkchikk; 02-20-2013 at 10:31 AM.
nikkchikk is offline   Reply With Quote