Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Caffeine

What is your opinion on caffeine while pregnant? I know that most doctors will say up to 200 mg a day is safe but I was just curious. I am not a big coffee, tea or soda drinker in general and mostly drink water but I crave iced tea while pregnant and I indulge a couple days a week (decaf when possible). I have noticed a lot of judgment from other women about this, though. What do you guys do?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Caffeine

I drink coffee when I need the energy boost. It's only 1 cup and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it. I wouldn't drink more than 2 cups, though.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
M&LMom
Registered Users
seller

I didn't think twice about drinking iced tea. I craved it all the time and I always forget it's caffeinated. My first pregnancy I was good about not drinking pop, but my second pregnancy I decided having a Pepsi solved all my problems! So bad for me, but so tasty and instantly fixed my bad moods. So I would allow myself one a day if I wanted it.
M&LMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not survive without my coffee. I had a iced latte or iced coffee every day. Plus occasinally ice tea or a pepsi. I was the best with my first but for the 2nd and 3rd plus WOH (leave the house by 6am) I drank plenty of caffine.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I try to avoid it. Caffeine, being a stimulant, is supposed to increase the heart rate and babies already have such high heart rates, I figure it CAN'T be good for them.

That said, I do sometimes drink a non-decaf coffee while pregnant and too much soda too. I've been very bad this time around. Was just about "perfect" while pregnant with my first, not as good with my second, and way too lax with this third baby. I just really crave soda, don't like lemon lime or ginger ale unless I'm sick, get tired of root beer and honestly do try to avoid food coloring while pregnant. Not a lot of choices left after you cut out diet too for the aspartame. It's all a weighing of risks, unfortunately.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't judge most caffeine drinkers, I cut out all but one a week. I did have a acquaintance tell me she drank 3-4 cokes a day because someone told her they did with their pregnancy and it made them have a calm baby
As with everything, I'm a big believer in moderation.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Mheagan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cut it out completely with DD. I drank 1 a day with DS, I needed the boost to be preggo and chasing after an active 3 yo! Both my kids are smart, active, and COMPLETELY NORMAL!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&LMom View Post
I didn't think twice about drinking iced tea. I craved it all the time and I always forget it's caffeinated. My first pregnancy I was good about not drinking pop, but my second pregnancy I decided having a Pepsi solved all my problems! So bad for me, but so tasty and instantly fixed my bad moods. So I would allow myself one a day if I wanted it.
This. to a T. and I didn't even like Pepsi before.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cut it out during the first tri and then slowly bring back in drinking caffeine free pop.

I don't do coffee
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

I never drank any caffeine in the first tri but I have been drinking occasionally nearing my 3rd. I don't think it is terribly bad unless your drinking a ton a day. My dh worked with a woman who drank 3 mountain dews a day. eek.
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote