Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Getting there.. slowly.

I know I'm not a regular on this part of DS but I lurk. a lot.
I have always been a binge/purge kinda girl. Even as a kid. We are getting ready to be a family of 6 and really need to make more space for baby. I don't have a basement or attic. We only have 2 closets in the house. I have been purging little by little from each room. Today I purged a paper bag full of crafty stuff that I donated to my dd's prek class. I've made a cleaning list to keep me on top of things, too.

So we had to build a storage shed in the backyard to hold tools, seasonal stuff, camping gear, etc. Luckily I got dh to build two long shelves to hold the rubbermaid containers that everything will be organized in. Plus we have a couple of shelving units too.

My point is that all that crap is sitting in a storage unit costing us money each month. My goal is to go clean out the unit (which has been an overflow dumping ground lately) before the end of Feb. I told dh that lots of the stuff out there can go to the dump. If we've lived without it this long we don't need it. I'm going to purge down the camping gear too. I guess I am just so excited to get rid of so much stuff!! (and save some money!) I think I'm going to continue to take that money out of our account and put it in an envelope each month as a special big purchase fund, like a nice love seat and some chairs. idk. but I'm always inspired by what the rest of you have done in your homes!!! Keep up the good work !!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Getting there.. slowly.

Welcome! I'm more of a lurker too. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

Welcome! I love that you have a goal to keep you motivated, that has helped me too. Can't wait to see your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Good luck! Take before and after photos, I think it can be great motivation to keep going.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies!! Yes Yes! I will take pics!! I just need to get the kids to gma's so I can spend a few hours out there and start organizing. REally wish I had a truck or a trailer to do it in one shot though. I will just have to take the car seats out and drop the back down so I can make a few trips. I have an prenatal appt tmrw, so the kids will already be at gmas, maybe I can bribe her to keep them longer.... hmm.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

GAH!!! I totally forgot to take a pic of before!! I was out there today and grabbed a bunch of totes and a ladder, so not THAT much was removed but I will try to remember Saturday when I go back out there to take one of the mess! lol but I did get a pic of the totes inside the shed so far.. It not very exciting, but I will post it later. I need to get dinner started !!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

There's another shelf above the camera view too. but that's for lg items.
Most of the materials we used to build this shed came from dh's gma's house that burned up. We salvaged all that we could from the studs, ply, and even the siding! But that's why there is white paint in spots, to cover the smoke smell. Anyways we have shelving that needs to get moved in so I can load the shelves. Hoping all goes well this weekend (weather).

Last edited by Andbabymakes2; 02-13-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Andbabymakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote