Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any chance a bamboo or hemp flat/prefold could absorb near 20oz?

info from various companies:

GroVia - will do test in the next couple weeks. They gave me a strange answer that said no more than 10oz, that seems low for the larger ones so I don't believe it.

Imagine said it all depends on climate, prepped, detergent, etc so they don't know.

Cotton Babies said that the Hemp Flat would be around 12oz and the bigger weeds prefold is about 14oz.

I just sent a msg off to babykicks. We'll see what they say. I've been eye balling the OS hemp insert.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-13-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

BabyKicks XL Toddler size hemp PFs are CRAZY absorbent They are big though. I used them in my son's nighttime diapers at the height of his heavy-wetting. I folded them into half the long way, and then in half again. It would be a long, skinny insert. Then I folded the length down about 8 inches so he's have DOUBLE the absorbency in the front.

I'd top it with an Imse Vimse organic cotton terry doubler and it always held everything.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
BabyKicks XL Toddler size hemp PFs are CRAZY absorbent They are big though. I used them in my son's nighttime diapers at the height of his heavy-wetting. I folded them into half the long way, and then in half again. It would be a long, skinny insert. Then I folded the length down about 8 inches so he's have DOUBLE the absorbency in the front.

I'd top it with an Imse Vimse organic cotton terry doubler and it always held everything.
Was he crazy bulky? We are using pocket trainers, they can handle some bulk but I would worry about too much. I still wouldn't consider my son a heavy wetter, he's just three. We've been using the same absorbency for over a year and I starting to wonder if I need to up it a little.

I just noticed that the Snap EZ is a tiny bit thinner than the BG OS MF insert. It's more noticeable when I add a third insert in there, my thought was a prefold I could fold more narrow or inserts like the joeybunz would be narrow through the crotch. The second insert I've been using for ages in his nighttime diap is a med joeybunz
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-13-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Was he crazy bulky? We are using pocket trainers, they can handle some bulk but I would worry about too much. I still wouldn't consider my son a heavy wetter, he's just three. We've been using the same absorbency for over a year and I starting to wonder if I need to up it a little.

I just noticed that the Snap EZ is a tiny bit thinner than the BG OS MF insert. It's more noticeable when I add a third insert in there, my thought was a prefold I could fold more narrow or inserts like the joeybunz would be narrow through the crotch. The second insert I've been using for ages in his nighttime diap is a med joeybunz
It was bulky, but partly b/c his diaper was a Large fleece DryBees pocket. Otherwise I'd stuff it into a pocket fitted and cover with a fleece soaker or fleece longies.

I'm not sure that it would fit into a pocket trainer, just depends on how roomy it is. I think the combo would fit into a Large BumWare pocket trainer.

Hemp PFs are nice b/c they aren't all quilty like the cotton PFs, so they fold up pretty flat.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

I think you are going to be hard pressed to find anything that holds 20 oz. I can say I put my 20 month old in a size 3 GroVia prefold with just the small GroVia booster overnight and it holds him just fine. I would imagine the size 4 would hold even more, and if you wrapped it around a small hemp pocket insert towards the front you would have a relatively trim and very absorbent diaper, but 20 oz. is a LOT, and nobody's going to make a numeric promise that huge without testing things out first!!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Not bamboo and not hemp. I did test out my babee greens organic cotton prefold. It is the large size. Anyway when I added a preemie prefold the two combined held 20 oz of water without dripping any back into the pan. Now mind you they were totally and completely saturated but they were not dripping. I am sure I could squeeze some out easily if I wanted to but otherwise it did hold the required 20 oz. I actually made it to 22oz when it was on he verge of dripping. It amazed me as I thought no way a diaper could hold 20oz of fluid when I saw your post.

The babee greens prefold alone held 17oz. When I added the preemie prefold I was able to up the amount to 22oz. When I lifted both together I got no drips. When I lifted just the preemie prefold I got drips. So the bigger prefold was allowing the preemie prefold to hold more liquid than it otherwise would be able to hold.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 02-13-2013 at 11:50 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I put them into a size large happy heiny pocket diaper I have stored away in a closet. Although bit bulky on my 20 month old it wasn't so bulky I wouldn't use it if I needed it. I could if needed have add a bit more absorption.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
I have Hemparoos x-large(blue stitching) prefolds and Hemp Babies Bigger Weeds.

I put each one in a glass dish and poured the water over them and then let them drip out any that came out. The Hemparoos held 16oz and didn't drip any out. The Hemp Babies Bigger Weeds held about 12oz. I poured 16oz on it, but it was dripping streams of water, and about 4oz ended up back in the baking dish.

I know that isn't very scientific, but I thought that might help you out some.
I just tried this with one of my imagine bamboo flats and it seems to hold right around 12 oz. I stopped pouring the water on it once it started dripping. Definitely wasn't very scientific, lol, but I HTH.

Personally I've never ever heard of a diaper that could hold that much. I would think you'd have to do a combo, like maybe a large flat and a small flat or something like that. That's what I do at night usually and I've not yet had a problem.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

see below

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
kirst
Registered Users
seller

This is kind of a helpful comparison for a start : http://refashionista.wordpress.com/c...rt-absorbency/

I find the Fuzzibunz hemp inserts and Joey Bunz inserts- not premiums (I think basically the same - 6 layers of hemp) to be good....I've never actually tested them, but I suspect they would hold 20 oz if paired with another small hemp doubler.

I'm trying to get rid of all my mf inserts slowly, and found that a Kawaii mf insert holds 9 ounces and a motherease large cotton terry liner does hold 7 ounces (as claimed).... I pair the ME liners with hemp and I think I'm getting close to 20 oz of soaking. I just tested same way as you did.

Last edited by kirst; 02-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote