Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any chance a bamboo or hemp flat/prefold could absorb near 20oz?

So I checked again The first time I didn't let it drip out so my numbers were a bit inflated - especially on the microfiber. I do understand now what people mean by compression leaks with the MF. It would absorb several OZs more than it could really hold -- meaning it would absorb it up, I would lift it, and it would all drip back out. If these were getting that saturated by a child it would def compression leak.

Keep in mind many of these inserts are 2+ years old. The hemp is getting holey.

BG OS MF 3.0: 11oz
BG OS MF 4.0: 8oz

I was surprised these were so different, especially since the 4.0 is wider. I was going to try a few more I have and compare later.

Med JoeyBunz insert: 5oz (I tried 2 different ones got the same)
Sm JoeyBunz inserts: 4oz
Thirsties sm hemp: 4oz

What amazed me the most is I got MF inserts with the Bumwear trainers (used) They are simular sized to the 2 BG MF you get with the 4.0. I tried them

Small: 9oz
Large: 12oz

Also Thirties got back to me. There size 1 hemp prefold holds 7.9 There size 2 holds 11.1

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-13-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

So do you still need it to hold 20oz?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about how many oz they hold, but thirsties duo hemp prefolds are super absorbent. One of those trifolded in a pocket with a joeybunz should serve pretty well as a nighttime diaper.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Looks like my son has between 16oz and 13oz worth of absorbing at night. I now understand and wouldn't expect it in one insert I was more thinking that because I was worried about how much more bulky a prefold would be.

Not sure what I should shoot for. Maybe just 16-18oz overall? Most of his would have been closer to 13oz, if all the 4.0 mf absorb the same (i plan to check a few more) most of our are BG inserts were the 4.0.

Thanks for the advice everyone ! I'm still waiting hear back from babykicks. I will let you know.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I don't know about how many oz they hold, but thirsties duo hemp prefolds are super absorbent. One of those trifolded in a pocket with a joeybunz should serve pretty well as a nighttime diaper.
Thirties got back to me. There size 1 hemp prefold holds 7.9oz There size 2 holds 11.1oz
Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tested the XL BabyKicks hemp PF with Imse Vimse cotton terry doubler; it only held about 14 oz. I tried it w/a bamboo fleece insert instead of IV cotton terry, and it held about 16oz.

I don't think my son ever wet that much, b/c when I picked them up they were drippy. This was pouring all of it on within the span of a minute though, IDK if ACTUAL use would have different results.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I tested my hemp babies flats. Prior to adding liquid 1 flat weighed in at 3 3/4 oz. 2 weighed in at 7 1/2 oz. When I padfolded them and added water they only held around 18 oz. Enough for your second estimate. But a rather expensive option. 2 of them would cost $15.

The babee greens I mentioned in a previous post weighed in at 5 maybe 5 1/2 oz and held around 17 oz alone. Adding a preemie prefold upped it to around 22oz of liquid with a total pre water weight of 6 1/2-7oz. I imagine it would be less bulky than the 2 hemp flats combined and absorb more.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I realize that he doesn't actually pee 16-18oz. but I assume that much is needed to comfortably absorb what he does pee? Who knows.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tested 2 more BG OS MF 4.0 and the both also absorbed 8oz. (one was closer to 7.5 but it also had a slight odor so it probably had some buildup)

For now I going to start using the bumwear MF and the BG 3.0 with the JB Med hemp and see how it goes. We will be consistently in the 16-17oz range.

Thanks all!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Overnight for my heavy wetter we use either the Hemp Babies Bigger Weeds folded into a flat or the Babykicks XL Toddler prefold folded into a flat. The Toddler prefold is bulkier than the Bigger Weeds, but it does hold more like my test showed. I think you would get a trimmer fit using the Bigger Weed and another hemp doubler inside the trainers at night.