Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
So how do I teach my baby how to take a pacifier?

He's six weeks old. DD sucked her thumb, and DS sucked his fingers, and they did that even before they were born. This baby just wants to suck on ME, but I have a high supply and overactive letdown and I think he has a little reflux and so it just makes him spit up a ton. I got a pacifier today at the store. Any tips on helping him learn how to take it?

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So how do I teach my baby how to take a pacifier?

Stick it in? You might need to try different ones, my girls were very specific about what brand they liked. Had to be latex, not vinyl. Can't remember the brand.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Stick it in? You might need to try different ones, my girls were very specific about what brand they liked. Had to be latex, not vinyl. Can't remember the brand.
I agree. My dd is very specific too- she only takes the born free ones in a style they no longer make. I had to scour the Internet to find stores that still had them I tried different manufacturers that to me looked the same, but no go. Babies can be very particular about their nuks
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bah, they're too expensive to try a bunch of random ones. Will have to wait for our tax refund, but who knows when that will be (still waiting on a replacement SS card and then can efile). By then, he'll probably be too old to try to introduce one. :/ I remember trying to get B to take one when he was 8-ish months old b/c he had to have an empty stomach for a procedure and he was totally not interested at all. The procedure was an ultrasound of his abdomen, and he was too wiggly to get a clear picture b/c he was so hungry, so the tech finally told me that I could nurse him while he was on the table and he would still be able to do the scans, so I'm leaning over him, nursing, while he was being scanned, then we flipped him over and I nursed on the other side while he scanned on the other side, lol.

But anyway, that was a random tangent. I guess I will keep trying with this paci I got today and maybe try some others w/ our tax refund if he's still not interested by the time it comes in.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

I found the bulby ones stay in better. The good Ol Playtex round ones. They're around 3-5 at Walmart for two. The bulby end helps it stay and I think more satisfying. Now I did have to force the switch to the flat ones because she's an addict and it was affecting her teeth at 2. They literally went to normal after week...phew! My other two gave them up after a few months.. not this one.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with trying a bunch. My son will take any and all but he really likes the MAM pacifiers. I see lot of los with those in so you might try those next. I found some girly ones on clearance at walmart for $1.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Try putting a couple drops of sugar water on it.

That worked, but only for a couple weeks. I really really wish ds would have used it longer, but he was completely refusing if by 4 weeks. Wants nothing to do with it. We tried 4 or 5 kinds and the type didn't matter he just didn't like it.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If buying a few to try is too expensive, then definitely don't introduce a pacifier you'll spend the next year continually replacing them, then the next 5 years finding them in the weirdest places
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

my 2 so far that breastfeed i cant get to atAake pacifier well boy sometimes to calm down but rids of right away... oldest didnt find fists so just had to... hold it in?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
If buying a few to try is too expensive, then definitely don't introduce a pacifier you'll spend the next year continually replacing them, then the next 5 years finding them in the weirdest places
Very true lol. We have a stash of like 20 pacifiers, and there are seriously times where we can't find any. They will show up in random places all over the house lol
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote