Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Am I a candidate for cloth?

I haven't used flips but they do get great reviews. I agree with the PPs suggestion of flats. They are easily cleaned in the least amount of wash cycles. Likely just a wash and rinse. I prefer an extra rinse but unless you begin to have stink issues it probably isn't needed. Great thing about flats, if you decide cloth just isn't for you they can easily be used as cleaning rags. So no money lost on them. The flips can then be resold.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, pick up a Flip cover (they are one size so they grow with your baby) and a dozen or half dozen cotton flat diapers for pad folding. If you dont end up CDing the flats make great dish towels, cleaning rags, face rags, etc. Maybe pick up one affordable pocket diaper at some point like Imagine, and see how it goes.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
mozartswannabe
Registered Users
seller

I HATE doing laundry, but don't mind the diaper laundry so much. Like you, I was very on the fence at first and DH was %100 against using cloth diapers. If you have a washer/dryer then I say try it! We started part-time with 2 boxes of econobum and 2 snappi (24 prefolds, 6 covers, 2 wet bags for just under $100). I would run through our entire stash once a week which usually took 3 days then DS would be in sposies the rest of the week. After 2 weeks of that I started trying it fulltime and while I was trying to get a wash routine down that allowed me use almost all of my diapers before washing we would have to use a sposie here and there. EBF is so easy by son is 4 months as well and I spray his poop bc it smells!

Currently, we are 3 months in and havn't had to strip. I originally prepped all of our diapers in All Free&Clear bc I didn't know any better and switched detergents about a month in, but we havn't had any issues thankfully. We also barely use the prefolds now. Since starting fulltime I've hunted down bargins to build a better stash on a limited budget.

As far as the cost goes, we rent so we don't pay water, but our utility bills went about just under 15$/month when we started CDing. I wash every 3 days (cold wash, hot wash) and I do dry my diapers on medium bc it's just easier and faster than line drying in the winter. I'm sure that would cost would cut in half if I didn't have the dryer running for that extra hour and a half.
Everything in our stash was purchased NEW by me, I have no used diapers and our total cost has been about 375$. We have all onse size diapers (7 BG Freetimes, 3 FuzziBunz Elites, 2 Diaper Rite pockets, 4 Alva pockets, 8 3 Monkeys pockets, 1 FLO diaper sprayer, 2 Alva wetbags, 2 Alva pail liners, 12 econobum prefolds, 3 covers, 2 snappii and about 40 flannel wipes that I made myself). I resold 1 econobum kit for 40$ and deducted that from our total cost. Once I knew cloth would work for us I just followed the sales (most of our freetimes are seconds quality) and the only diapers I paid full retail value for were the 3 monkeys which are WHAM.

If you don't go overboard, CDing can absolutely be cost effective. I would estimate that our cloth diapers are only a couple months away from paying for themselves.

Lastly, DH was also concerned about the poop factor once LO starts solids, but after he installed our sprayer his concerns went away. Cloth can be intimidating bc it's not the norm any more and there is so much information out there and so many different opinions that you kind of just have to go for it. If it doesn't work out, well cared for diapers have an excellent resale value.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have question! Good luck!

Last edited by mozartswannabe; 02-13-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Left something out.
mozartswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Nerissa;16283221]If I can cloth diaper full time anyone can-- DH and I both WOH full time and the baby goes to daycare (who uses cloth).
~I do diaper laundry every 3 days (fold/put away once a week) and regular laundry as needed.
QUOTE]

We are a AIO/pockets family. We have been washing 2x/week (always on the same days so it's habit) since DD was... maybe 2-3 mos?
If you are ebf - CD now! Get hooked while you can just toss the whole unrinsed, unsprayed, unlined poop diaper in the bag! If you are ff or when baby gets older.. it's really not that bad and you WILL wind up touching poop, CD or sposies, at some point. We use AIO's with cheap fleece liners at daycare - they toss poopy liners, but pee liners get washed and back into rotation.
No noticeable difference in our water or electricity bills.
If you are planning on future children - I would try out pockets/flips/covers and prefolds/flats. Because you can totally keep the prefolds/flats through multiple kids, while the experience with AIO's and the actual pockets seems iffy.
This is how I sold my DH: "Honey, cloth diapers will always be here. I will take care of the washing and such. Would you rather I call you at 9pm when it's cold and raining and you've been at work for 12 hours, and ask that you pick up diapers on the way home because we are out... again?!"
Do you tend to have sposies delivered or pick them up while you are out? I for one, am grateful to never send DH to Target for sposies aka trash diapers, because while there he will inevitably pick up two movies, a latte, a toy, and some electronic iThing that I don't understand. I think CD's have saved us quite a bit in impulse buying at Target!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

I hate laundry, but oddly enough since starting cloth I seem to be way more on top of my laundry than I ever been. hah even my husband made a comment about it.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First post! Whoo hoo! I'm a longtime lurker, so this is exciting for me!
I am fairly new to cloth as well, and I wanted to let you know that I was in the exact same boat you are in. Pretty much 95% of the reason we are CD'ing is for financial reasons. The environmental and health aspects are also pluses!
I never, EVER thought in a million years that I would use cloth diapers. The cost savings were tempting to me, but I never thought too much about it because I HATED doing laundry with a passion, and I was terrible at keeping up with it. I brought the topic up with DH one day while pregnant with #2, and he was all for it. So I looked into it more and decided that since we were so financially strapped, we should at least try it.
We purchased a dozen prefolds, 2 Flip stay-dry packs, 6 BG Elementals, a pack of Snappi's, a wet bag, some Nellie's laundry soap, and a honking bottle of Bac-Out with our tax refund. I was under the impression that we would use sposies in the beginning, and while we were out, and just use cloth at home. We now use cloth 98% of the time!
On his one month birthday, I put him in his first cloth diaper (a grasshopper Flip and stay-dry insert). It was adorable! Over the next few months, I fell in love with Cd'ing. They were SO easy, and I was shocked that the laundry thing was NO BIG DEAL AT ALL. I actually enjoy doing diaper laundry, and am very faithful with it as my other laundry just sits there in a dirty heap! But the diapers get done! I will honestly tell you that it is no problem at all to throw a load of diapers in every other day.
I figured out what I liked and didn't like, and still have things to try that I haven't before. My stash now consists of flats (GMD, flour sacks, and a few receiving blankets), Flips, BGE's, and some assorted hemp, cotton and bamboo doublers. I would recommend prefolds or flats to you if you think that you won't be doing laundry as often, because they will be easier to get clean than maybe pockets or AIO's. Although pockets and AIO's are very easy to use. From my experience, natural fibers also clean the easiest, and absorb far better than microfiber. I thought I would be an AIO girl all the way (the more like a sposie, the better I thought) But it turns out I like the most old-school diapers the best (flats)! Who would have thunk! Don't let them scare you. If you want cheap, easy to wash and dry, and trim like a sposie, flats are the way to go. Fold them to put in a cover until you can learn some flat folds. It's not hard!
Bottom line is, if a person who hates doing laundry can do it, you can do it! Not everyone CD's for economical reasons per say, but we do, and we have saved SOOO much money! Go for it, and let the obsession take over!
bobbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, almost anyone can be a candidate for cloth, I think, barring rash issues or other sensitivities (which are pretty rare).

Unless you become obsessive about buying and trying diapers, you WILL save money. Even expensive water and electricity along with the cost of diapers is still cheaper than disposables. And you can't use a disposable on a 2nd or 3rd kid and you can't resell a disposable diaper.

Now, don't be fooled. Cloth is more work and it will take up some of your time.

But I also think it's worth it.

When we converted, I didn't force my husband into cloth. He was welcome to use disposables until he understood the cloth system (but seriously, how hard it is....this is the waterproof thing, this is the absorbant thing....it should be obvious how it 'works,' but I digress). And don't be discouraged if it takes a couple of weeks to work out the kinks. It takes a little bit of time to get to know your diapers and how much/often your baby pees into said diapers.

There are a few really good "systems" out there. Flats and Flips are great. Easy to wash & dry. Folding burnout happens to some, but I think anyone can power through it if they want to, too. Flip organic inserts are great, both the daytime and nighttime. Sized prefolds and covers are great. Any brand of sized prefold, any cover. Sandies fitted diapers are great, so are the GMD workhorse fitteds. BG Elementals and Swaddlebees Simplex are both great AIO's.

If you just want to try it out, order one or 2 covers from cottonbabies (any brand) and buy 2 packs of flour sack towels from Target or Walmart. Fold up the towel into the cover and give it a whirl. If you don't like it, resell the covers and use the towels in the kitchen.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, almost anyone can be a candidate for cloth, I think, barring rash issues or other sensitivities (which are pretty rare).

Unless you become obsessive about buying and trying diapers, you WILL save money. Even expensive water and electricity along with the cost of diapers is still cheaper than disposables. And you can't use a disposable on a 2nd or 3rd kid and you can't resell a disposable diaper.

Now, don't be fooled. Cloth is more work and it will take up some of your time.

But I also think it's worth it.

When we converted, I didn't force my husband into cloth. He was welcome to use disposables until he understood the cloth system (but seriously, how hard it is....this is the waterproof thing, this is the absorbant thing....it should be obvious how it 'works,' but I digress). And don't be discouraged if it takes a couple of weeks to work out the kinks. It takes a little bit of time to get to know your diapers and how much/often your baby pees into said diapers.

There are a few really good "systems" out there. Flats and Flips are great. Easy to wash & dry. Folding burnout happens to some, but I think anyone can power through it if they want to, too. Flip organic inserts are great, both the daytime and nighttime. Sized prefolds and covers are great. Any brand of sized prefold, any cover. Sandies fitted diapers are great, so are the GMD workhorse fitteds. BG Elementals and Swaddlebees Simplex are both great AIO's.

If you just want to try it out, order one or 2 covers from cottonbabies (any brand) and buy 2 packs of flour sack towels from Target or Walmart. Fold up the towel into the cover and give it a whirl. If you don't like it, resell the covers and use the towels in the kitchen.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If flats and prefolds look intimidating, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm not a flats fan at all. I only like hemp prefolds trifolded in a good cover. I don't like Flips covers that much, I sold mine.
A lot of people on here love flats, but some people don't and that's alright. The great thing about cloth dipes is that there are SO many options.

My favourite type is Best Bottoms covers and snap in hemp/cotton inserts. Check out nickisdiapers.com.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

I think anyone who is willing to try cloth is a candidate. And I am a real believer that it saves money. Although, DH cringed the other day when I stripped my kissluvs fitteds (he can just see the money going down the drain...)

Now, when I configure what it costs to do a load (not including my dryer because I hang dry 95%) my overall utilities increase by a maximum $6 per month. I know I could never use sposies for under $6 per month. Plus my house doesn't smell like baby poop and my trash isn't full of baby poop.

I have only spent a total of about $140 on diapers as well, and I have a lot (well, it seems that way to us):
2 gPants/3 pouches/15 gLiners (I paid $40)
10 Kissaluvs hybrids (I paid $30)
17 pockets (thus far BG is the only one that hasn't pissed me off by breaking in some way) (I paid $60 for sunbabys...they broke, she sent 2 new ones, I fixed said broken ones, I paid $9 for a Kawaii that died and they sent me a new one, and I fixed the other, and 1 BG 4.0 I paid $6) Total $72
10 Prefolds, freecycle!
I got 2 flips and 2 blueberry covers as gifts
5 Flats (homemade from cotton fabric!)

Total $142...I don't need any more diapers (forgot...I have liners I made too), so for $142 I have my diapers, and I diaper for $6/month.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote