Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
justsamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone do a raw diet for their dog?

my ferrets eat mostly raw. Chicken liver, lungs, hearts and just cubed breast.
we noticed a huge difference in their health, energy, coats and appetite in about a week.
they do have iams-something-or-other in the cage to snack on or if we run out of meats before we make it back to the butcher.

Advertisement

justsamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

We do raw here too. We use Bravo complete (it's the balanced diet one,so you don't need to add any supplements except a good probiotic). It has helped our golden tremendously not only with skin but stomach issues. My chihuahua and beagle have super smooth and glossy coats, and all have been in great health. We've been doing it for two years now and as long as we can financially afford to do it ill continue. And my youngest child is just turning 3, so yes I've done it with little ones. I feed in specific glass bowls that go straight to the dishwasher once they finish to ease worries of contamination.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We just started feeding raw a few weeks ago! I'm worried that we won't be able to afford it long term, though We are feeding chicken quarters and pork shoulder right now, alternating the type of meat every other day, just started with pork yesterday. The three of them just go outside to eat, and we're in Nebraska so it's pretty cold right now. We started because we found out our Lab is diabetic and she refused to eat the prescription kibble (was $21 for an 8lb bag & smelled awful!). I have a 50lb (underweight by 10-20lbs) Lab who will be 8 in April, a 40lb rock solid Shiba Inu who will be 9 in August, and a 20lb dainty Shiba Inu with terrible lifelong allergies who will be 9 in June. So far their energy level has gone up, and we have been able to cancel our pet waste pickup because the amount of poo has dramatically decreased! I know this is a great thing we are doing for them but with the $98/bottle insulin for our Lab, the price increase on the food has hit the budget pretty hard. :/ We've been getting the chicken from Walmart for 75 cents a pound which is pretty inexpensive, but any other meat we can't seem to get under $2/lb. We are giving them roughly 3% of their body weight in meat per day.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
cristancanoe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahamama731 View Post
We just started feeding raw a few weeks ago! I'm worried that we won't be able to afford it long term, though We are feeding chicken quarters and pork shoulder right now, alternating the type of meat every other day, just started with pork yesterday. The three of them just go outside to eat, and we're in Nebraska so it's pretty cold right now. We started because we found out our Lab is diabetic and she refused to eat the prescription kibble (was $21 for an 8lb bag & smelled awful!). I have a 50lb (underweight by 10-20lbs) Lab who will be 8 in April, a 40lb rock solid Shiba Inu who will be 9 in August, and a 20lb dainty Shiba Inu with terrible lifelong allergies who will be 9 in June. So far their energy level has gone up, and we have been able to cancel our pet waste pickup because the amount of poo has dramatically decreased! I know this is a great thing we are doing for them but with the $98/bottle insulin for our Lab, the price increase on the food has hit the budget pretty hard. :/ We've been getting the chicken from Walmart for 75 cents a pound which is pretty inexpensive, but any other meat we can't seem to get under $2/lb. We are giving them roughly 3% of their body weight in meat per day.
check with some butchers in your area. We got great deals on chicken and turkey necks and other meat/bone scraps.
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

May I ask approximately what price you're paying per pound for the deals on meat / bone scraps, cristancanoe? I am going to try and nail down a few butchers to call in my area but I'm curious how cheap they can go on the scraps.

http://www.dogguide.net/raw-diet-basics.php is a really good basic overview for people that may be interested in doing a quick read-through about raw feeding, btw

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
cristancanoe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
May I ask approximately what price you're paying per pound for the deals on meat / bone scraps, cristancanoe? I am going to try and nail down a few butchers to call in my area but I'm curious how cheap they can go on the scraps.

http://www.dogguide.net/raw-diet-basics.php is a really good basic overview for people that may be interested in doing a quick read-through about raw feeding, btw
It was over 7 years ago, I don't remember the exact prices. But we bought it in bulk from different butchers. I am in Alaska now and no local butchers and I am sure the prices would be way to high for us right now.
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

I fed raw up until about a year after we moved to Hout Bay. My female is a picky eater and we live behind a horse farm. Whatever she turned her nose up at was always riddled in fly eggs. I threw away more food then she ate.

Now I feed Earthborn and home cooked.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I fed raw to my coydog on the BARF model. I don't think I would do it without the organ meat/veggie meals as it is not a full rounded diet. I used to get great deals at some of the local markets on organ meat and there was a local butcher who would give me bones that he couldn't sell (giant shoulder bones for the dogs to chew ect). I tried it with Duke but just couldn't bring myself to do it A) because he can't tolerate beef at all which makes it a little harder making his meals and B) because even grinding all the meat for him and feeding it to him that way I was still freaked out about the germs with my kids. Duke drools a ton more than Mali did (AB = giant jowls and drool) plus I am just more bugged by germs than I used to be. We were feeding Canidae but since adopting Remus we have been attempting a switch to Kirklands Nature's Domain as I think he might be allergic to Canidae (he scratches constantly). Nature's Domain is grain free and cheaper than Canidae.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #19
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's one of my biggest hesitations/reservations with feeding raw. Raw chicken/beef/pork juice getting all over their faces, tracked all over my house, slopped on my floor. Ewwww!!

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #20
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am finding this thread fascinating. I just spoke to our vet about this last night-- either raw or home prepared foods for our new pup. DH and I had spoken about it a lot of times with our old dog. It seemed hypocritical for us to only feed whole foods to ourselves and the children and then feed packaged food to the pets....

I have more research to do, but the vet cautioned me that it is sometimes tricky when one has a busy life (as she eyed my three kids winging about the exam room ) to keep it balanced. She said she commends people who do it well, but she sees a lot of people who start of with good intentions and fall off the wagon as time goes on. She also commented on dogs who develop pickiness and only eat parts of the meal, as a PP pointed out.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread as it is something I really want to keep researching.