Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

That's why I opted for the prepared balanced version of raw. I don't think I could do my own balanced meals well for the pooches. Fwiw I pay about $11 for a 5lb block of bravo balance chicken.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone do a raw diet for their dog?

I have not done raw but some of my friends have, I am a former vet tech and have taken additional classes in animal nutrition (and human FWIW :P)
From my perspective raw feeding is definitely not necessary and the cons outweigh the pros. I really do not like the idea of a bunch of raw meat being eaten by animals in a house shared with small children. No matter how careful you are, it's a risk. It's expensive and time consuming also. Yes it's true that animals, like humans, benefit from a good quality diet, but you don't have to do raw to obtain this. You can get the same results from a high quality prepackaged food and not have to worry about nutritional and vitamin balance or health risks of uncooked meat.
edit-Also I have seen bones splinter, get stuck, etc (though it is less likely with raw bones) and bacterial contamination causing severe illness. The resulting vomiting and diarrhea (in an 80 lb lab mix) was not only an expensive hospital stay but smelled so bad I can't even describe it..

Last edited by anne_josh; 02-14-2013 at 08:10 PM.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So what are options other than raw? My pooch has bad dandriff and fatty cysts, if a diet change would help I would try it! We just feed Iams atm.

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Switch him to a more healthy diet! Iams is nottttt good food and if price is a concern, you can find MUCH better quality food for a similar price as Iams (Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, etc.) Here's one awesome site for researching which food to switch to. Stick to a 4 or 5 star food:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

There is no way I could ever afford to feed most of the 5 star foods (I have one large dog and one 18lb dog) but the 4 star foods are very affordable if you just search for the right one in your area. If you don't have a major pet store in your area, a lot of farm/feed stores do carry a few quality brands of dog food as well.

FWIW, I believe Diamond Naturals is around $30 for a 40lb bag. It's not THE cream of the crop but it is a huge step up from Iams.

Diamond Naturals review: 4 stars http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...rals-dog-food/

vs Iams which it looks like is a 2 star food.

Last edited by november; 02-14-2013 at 09:11 PM.
november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The other awesome thing about the premium food is that your dog will poop less and eat less of it because there are less fillers!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #26
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

We feed 4 dogs raw with ease and have been for going on 3 years.

It is not messy at all. We feed them on the back porch and they are really neat eaters. I pride myself on having a nice clean home, so there is no way I would tolerate meat juices all over my house. If it is rainy, they eat in the garage. We do not have messes, period, they clean themselves after they eat and only one has a beard, the mini schnauzer and if he is particularly wet on his beard, I go after him with a wet washcloth, but that almost never happens.

They eat all sorts of meat and bones from pork, beef, chicken, turkey & venison and get liver & organs only on Fridays. They also get eggs, we feed them whole or cracked, but raw, of course.

We do not feed weight bearing bones from beef or other large animal, they will crack their teeth. They can eat entire pigs. We freeze the pork cuts ahead of time. The other items are often frozen prior to feeding to, but not always. Never feed cooked bones.

I have seen rabbits at the Asian market, but have not bought them yet due to cost. I thought about raising them to feed, but just don't have the heart. I am raising chickens so that they can eat the eggs.

Our dogs were having issues with allergies and problems with their coats that have completely cleared up within weeks of beginning the diet.

We have dogs that range from 6lbs to 30lbs and they all eat the same things, only sometimes we may have to cut things up a little for the tiniest dog.

We get things on sale, we do not feed cuts more than $2 a lb and get most things for .99 cents lb. We feed once a day and sometimes fast a day or two on the weekend when they seem contented and have maybe had big meals during the week. We get chicken and turkey with sodium under 100mg per serving, so watch for that. A great way to try the diet is just to get a package of split chicken breasts and let them have at it. Our mini schnauzer is missing a couple teeth (couple bad teeth removed prior to going raw) and he is our best eater. I was amazed when even my little yorkie was able to eat the breast and bone with ease, chomping thru the bones like it was popcorn, lol. They are made for this diet, and I wish I had tried it when they were pups.

Our dogs are thriving, no allergies amazing coats and very pleased with dinner time. There is significant waste reduction in the backyard and it has almost no smell. Before the waste was incredible and horribly stinky.

I like this site: raw fed dogs

And we are vegetarian, mostly vegan, but I feed my dogs what I think is best for them and me and my family what I believe is best for us. I have a hard time getting thru some of the prep, but most of the time, we are able to open the package and toss it out to them as is. Sometimes, we have some cutting to do if it is say a pork roast or something.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 02-14-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #27
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you find that you have to feed one dog at a time? To ensure they each get the appropriate portions for their size and to ensure no squabbles?

I'm considering starting off going 50/50 - one meal a day raw, one kibble. Just to get my feet wet. I figure SOME raw/real food is better than none and since I'm not ready to commit to it 100% yet, it might be a fair compromise..

Old 02-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
Do you find that you have to feed one dog at a time? To ensure they each get the appropriate portions for their size and to ensure no squabbles?

I'm considering starting off going 50/50 - one meal a day raw, one kibble. Just to get my feet wet. I figure SOME raw/real food is better than none and since I'm not ready to commit to it 100% yet, it might be a fair compromise..
I do not think it is advised to do either/or, because I hear the kibble digests much more slowly than the raw and perhaps if eating raw after kibble the raw will not digest quickly enough and could cause issues. You may want to commit instead of daily try a weekly or two weeks on, two weeks off sort of thing with a fast day after the kibble to ensure it is out of their systems. Please look further into this as I am just not familiar with feeding kibble in tandem with raw, all I ever heard is don't do that.

We feed in sections or corners of our concrete courtyard, with the littlest being right near the patio door so we can see if someone ate quickly and is spying on hers or not letting her enjoy her meal. She really stands up for herself and will protect her food by growling really loudly, lol. Even though she is a fraction of their size, the big ones dare not come near.

We have very well behaved well fed dogs, thankfully. We have never had issues with stealing, however if one doesn't finish he will walk away and our top dog usually goes in to grab the remaining leftovers right away. In our case, it is really fun to watch their respect for each other and the order of the pack is so interesting and how it comes into play when eating is so cool to watch. The bigger top dog will watch from a distance while the tiniest baby dog eats and he will only step in to get the spare after she walks away when she is full.

Our dogs are such a pack and have an order, they even walk in the door in pack order....every time.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 02-14-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #29
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I've looked in to it! It's not considered 'ideal' in the raw feeders world but it seems most say it's better to have some raw than none at all, and if you do a 50/50, to split the meals - don't do half raw, half kibble at each meal, but do the raw meal first and the kibble meal 8 hours later in the day. That's what I'm considering doing for now =0)

Thanks for the info on how you feed them, I wondered about that. I think I would for sure have to feed them outside, I just can't stand the thought of raw meat getting slopped on my floors. Neither of my dogs are food aggressive so I could probably stick them out there together although I'd definitely have to keep an eye on them just in case

Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That sounds like a great plan.

I started out with split chicken breasts the first week we started, then later did chicken quarters. First organ was chicken liver, but ours prefer beef liver. And sometimes one of them they refuse something, maybe an entire meal, I do not worry about it and figure they just aren't hungry and sure enough, they eat the whole next meal. We have had no issues, thankfully.

Feeding bones freaked me out and at first I was very tense and scared. But once they showed me how they were made to eat this stuff, I became much more comfortable and have never looked back. We have not fed kibble once since we fed those first pieces of chicken, and it really is not so difficult.

Oh! And I always forget this because it was so long ago, but we had one dog, the top dog, the biggest one refuse his first 3 to 4 days of raw. We did not give up or offer any other food, of course he finally caved and learned that was dinner. I think he was most addicted to the kibble and had a hard time transitioning. He was also a little pudgy, now he is nice and lean, no pudge. The other 3 dogs transitioned instantly and did not refuse their first raw meals. We also have one cat that eats parital raw, part kibble.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 02-14-2013 at 10:31 PM.