Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First Night in the Floor Bed!!!

Last night was DDs first night in her floor bed. I have had the idea of a floor bed in the back of my mind for a long time and struggled because of the issue of naps. We wanted her to be able to fall asleep on her own and thought that if she could get out of her bed that it would delay the process. In hindsight, I don't think it would have made much of a difference. So anyway, at a 1.5 yrs, I took the plunge, no more crib!!!

DD was very excited about the bed on the floor and seemed to really like the new set up of her room, more open and organized. She spent a lot of time in there yesterday bringing extra blankets into her bed and making her sign for "night-night" She napped very well in it and didn't have any issues going to sleep at night (after an extra snack, of course - what an eater!) I was really happy until I went to check on her and she was hanging upside down off the mattress. Even with the pillow on the floor, it still looked uncomfortable. I re-positioned her but in the morning, she was on the floor, on the only un-carpeted area near her bed and she was freezing cold.

My husband just says, "I told you so..." he's not really on board with the idea.

Maybe I'm crazy. A lot of people don't get the reasoning. It a Montessori thing, really. To foster growth by allowing a child to be unhindered when satisfying their internal motivations toward development.

So, if there are any more floor-bed-sleepers out there, please share some of your experience with me. I'll post some pics here soon. Thanks!!!!

Advertisement

Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: First Night in the Floor Bed!!!

Is this just putting a mattress on the floor??

My DS's bunkbed is from Ikea and the bottom bunk sits on the floor.

We transitioned my YDD to the bottom bunk when she was about 15 mos old.

How old is your child? Is your siggy correct that they are only 6/7 mos old?

*Personally* I think that's too early to be sleeping with unhindered access to toys, etc. But I would be more concerned with the safety aspect of it all than with the getting out of bed and being cold issues. --- SORRY! just saw baby is 1.5 y/o. My bad.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-13-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Is this just putting a mattress on the floor??

My DS's bunkbed is from Ikea and the bottom bunk sits on the floor.

We transitioned my YDD to the bottom bunk when she was about 15 mos old.

How old is your child? Is your siggy correct that they are only 6/7 mos old?

*Personally* I think that's too early to be sleeping with unhindered access to toys, etc. But I would be more concerned with the safety aspect of it all than with the getting out of bed and being cold issues.
She said the child is 1.5 years.

DD1 took a stint with just the mattress on the floor when her crib was recalled at 2. She slept in it fine, but frequently ended up on the floor. I'd go in and check on her about 2 hours after bedtime and shift her back into bed. Sometimes it took, sometimes it didn't. Once I stopped having to pick her back off the floor, I asked mom to bring down her single bed. That was just before she was three, and we actually got the bed a couple months later. She slept in the single bed with a rail for about 6 mos, and then no rail after that. She's now 5.

If they're really uncomfortable, they'll wake up. What looks uncomfortable to us, frequently isn't to them. Same with being cold. If she's really cold, she'll wake up and do something about it. Don't sweat it too much.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
She said the child is 1.5 years.

DD1 took a stint with just the mattress on the floor when her crib was recalled at 2. She slept in it fine, but frequently ended up on the floor. I'd go in and check on her about 2 hours after bedtime and shift her back into bed. Sometimes it took, sometimes it didn't. Once I stopped having to pick her back off the floor, I asked mom to bring down her single bed. That was just before she was three, and we actually got the bed a couple months later. She slept in the single bed with a rail for about 6 mos, and then no rail after that. She's now 5.

If they're really uncomfortable, they'll wake up. What looks uncomfortable to us, frequently isn't to them. Same with being cold. If she's really cold, she'll wake up and do something about it. Don't sweat it too much.
Sorry, totally missed that part.

We moved YDD to a bottom bunk w/mattress on the floor (an Ikea bunk bed), around 15 mos old.

Lots of consistency and patience and consistency and patience will help them learn to stay in bed.

I agree with this mama I quoted about uncomfortable positions and about being cold. Although we mommies do worry a lot about them having sore muscles when they wake up, or freezing to death when they are sleeping, typically a child with no special needs will wake up when the are uncomfortable and will move to a more favorable position, or cover themselves up, or call for you, etc. Unless they have some special circumstances, their bodies will naturally wake them and they'll get more comfortable.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

DS moved to a toddler bed (a race car bed, essentially no taller than the mattress) at about 1.5 years. He rolled off once but no more.

At 7.5 years old, he still sleeps in weird positions all over his bed. He actually has a mattress on the floor now, and I'll find him sideways with his head hanging off or something. But it doesn't seem to bother him.

(He has a "junior loft" bed, a loft with about 4' of space underneath. But he sleeps on a mattress underneath it. Somehow he is happier down there -- I think of it as his little cave. The bed above him is essentially storage space for dolls.)
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of ours "first bed" was a queen mattress on the floor because I had a huge hang up about the possibility of a fall and we couldn't find bed rails to fit the queen size frames.

I ended up buying these cool pillowcases from Ikea (one gigantic case with 3 slots for pillows) and those are what went around it in a L shape. Worked like a charm. They both sleep in off the floor beds now.

As for the positions and temp, I always think they are going to be freezing (since I am) but my oldest (almost 5) has just started to like a blanket on him when he sleeps. I too figure that if the position is uncomfortable or they are cold, they will get up and fix it.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1 went at 18 months because preschool used cots for naps and I thought it would help with that. It didn't. It was awful. Never again.

DS went at 2.5. Easy. Wonderful. Old enough to understand to stay in bed. Loved it.

DD2 is 23 months and we just started the transition for bedtime. Naps still in the crib. It has been rough. She won't stay in bed. I just put the gate up, turn out the lights and walk away. But 45 minutes later, she is often in her room pulling every pair of jammies out of the drawer and generally making a huge mess, and not at all sleeping.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kinda OT but why is said babe not in your siggy?

Get a couple sleep sacks, they make em for toddlers. Then she can roll around all she pleases and the blanket goes with her
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both kids went onto a mattress on the floor at 15-17 months. We just used a regular bed rail on the side to keep them from completely rolling off the sides.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of my kids were out of cribs by 18m at the very latest. DD was on a twin mattress on the floor at 13 months. Most of the time she starts out in bed and then moves to the floor, I'm not worried about it, she's big enough to get in and out of bed easily, so if she were uncomfortable on the floor she would move to her bed.

We just make sure the heat is turned up enough and she is dressed warmly. She's never cold, I would just be uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all!