Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
MiniLambMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need help with FMLA baby bonding leave!

LY when I delivered my daughter I did not qualify for FMLA because I had been at my job less than 12 mos. I was out on disability for 8 weeks for caesarean and 6 weeks of paid family leave. Now I have passed my 12 mo anniversary and qualify for FMLA baby bonding but not PFL. What do I do ?

Advertisement

MiniLambMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
tasundance
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I need help with FMLA baby bonding leave!

My maternity leave has never been paid.
Tricia~31 Married for 13 years to Chad~36. Semi Crunchy mama to Aurora~12, Ethan~10, Jacob~8, Annika~5, Makenna~4, Niko James~3, Cyrus~1 and blessing #8 due 10/10/15
tasundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
MiniLambMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasundance
My maternity leave has never been paid.
How long was your leave?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
You have to take it within 12 months of giving birth.

And PFL is part of fmla. If you got 6 weeks paid leave after your 8 weeks disability, you already took it
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!

Last edited by Fishie Kisses; 09-09-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
HandA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
You have to take it within 12 months of giving birth.

And PFL is part of fmla. If you got 6 weeks paid leave after your 8 weeks disability, you already took it
This. FMLA basically just protects your job.
HandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
MiniLambMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can you take short term disability?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniLambMom
Can you take short term disability?
She already took that...that was the 8 weeks after her c/s
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yep, everywhere I have ever worked had 6 weeks paid short term disability and 12 weeks fmla (unpaid). We actually had to pay health insurance in every week I was unpaid or it would have cancelled my insurance.

Geez I just realized this was in the California club! Sorry! I've never even been to Cali!

Last edited by slyeates; 09-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.
slyeates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
elated
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's something like only 15% of companies give paid family leave. Otherwise you need to build up your sick leave and annual leave. I work for the federal government (which is not paid leave) and unfortunately I am not able to apply for California state dis for my pregnancy but I paid into a private short term disability (which covers you only if you sign up before you are pregnant. Also a lot of private companies specifically don't cover maternity so you have to double check that)
elated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
FMLArobert
Registered Users

Hi, im robert. I am not a parent but I was searching for FMLA and leave of absence related topics and saw your question. I had to create a username to answer thus FMLArobert lol. Anyway, I saw there was some misinformation so I thought I would clarify. If u live in CA and have already used up the max amount of time for paid family leave then thats it you wont get no more than for this bonding leave period. PFL is NOT part of FMLA. PFL is a CA state leave entitlement, FMLA is part of a federal law. If you reach your one year anniversary while on an approved disability leave then you become eligible for FMLA AND CFRA (CA Family Rights Act). Meaning now that u met your year, have u met the other FMLA/CFRA eligibility qualifiers? If so, then you can use them and they will start either in your disability period or in the newborn bonding period. FMLA/CFRA are not paid, they can run independently or concurrently depending on the situation. Usually the pfl is used once the disability period is over and then the parent has entered the newborn bonding period. I have worked in the disability/leave administration industry for about 3 years. I started working in the industry by coordinating leaves for employees of various fortune 500 employers and quickly moved up. Ive filed and have managed thousands of leaves for many types of employees from blue collor to exectives. This is not intended as legal advice but to try to inspire you to do your research, understand your options and identify your resources. Anyone have any other questions? Im kinda bored lol
FMLArobert is offline   Reply With Quote