Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

What to do when your family thinks you're nuts...

I just have to rant a moment. My family thinks I am crazy. I am constantly getting snarky comments about CDing and the way we raise our kids. Ugh. My dad's wife is a nurse so she knows everything there is to know. Period.

Cloth is not sanitary, it is disgusting.
Bed sharing kills babies.
Babywearing is great, but you have to stop early or you will have attachment issues.
BF is wonderful, but you MUST supplement at 6 months.

Really? I bleach my cloth every so often plus use liners.
My three girls all slept with us and they are happy!
Leave my babywearing ALONE.
AND...so what my breast milk suddenly changes at 6 months? She doesn't want solids, so I am not forcing them down her throat.

Anyone else deal with this garbage?

Advertisement

abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to do when your family thinks you're nuts...

oh yeah. But, my family has actually come around. You have to educate them. As in--
1.name the chemicals in disposables and what they can cause, diaper rash statistics, etc.
2.Print out a list of healthy reasons to breastfeed and hang it on your fridge so they'll see it.
3. There's some stats about babies who nurse longer than 6 years--you can use that
4. brain activity and growth is better when you wear baby, correct?.
etc etc etc
You get my drift, I'm sure. If they still make comments, tell them it's YOUR BABY. I found the more confident and firm I am when I comment back to things they say, the quicker they back off.

bottom line-who cares what they think? your baby's happy!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
CheleBelle84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the Mom above! Some people need education thrown in the face - lol My mom is a converted CD'er now, but unfortunately my MIL is still stuck on disposables, she doesn't seem to show any interest in CD's, and when I talk to her about them, she changes the topic or brushes the convo off ... so I've about given up ... but the only silver lining there is that SHE buys the disposables for her house (she keeps my 2 kiddos 3 days a week), so at least it's no extra $ out of my pocket!

Sort of went on my own rant, huh, lol - sorry

Also neither my mom or MIL ever breastfed, so they had LOTS of education thrown their way when my daughter was born ... now they are pro's at handling pumped milk and think nothing of it when I nurse openly! I nursed until a year!

Rant away Momma - I can relate!
CheleBelle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I just agree and change the subject. Yup your right I am crazy. So how about that game, crime spree, or etc. Most people eventually get the idea they are being rude. The others will never get it. No amount of talking is going to change them.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have just given up on them respecting my choices. I told sil when she is the one paying my bills she is welcome to tell me what type of diapers to use.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tell them that their opinions are not welcome. Period.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH and I don't put up with that crap. Be rude and you won't see us, period. You don't need your children hearing them criticize you (talk about unhealthy and it teaches your kids to not respect you). We really had to draw the line when we first got married. We were ONLY 19 and of course they always knew better, even when it came to the church we attended. With the exception of DH's new stepdad, they say nothing critical whatsoever to us (he actually said our kids were missing out because my 1 and 2 year old don't watch Finnius and Ferb). They know it means a quick rebuttal and we leave, like instantly. We aren't critical of them and we deserve respect. Older doesn't always mean wiser
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

I am SO glad I am not the only one. It's funny because my sister loves CDs she thinks they are amazing, and my Dad is all for flats and covers (he hates the pockets and thinks they are a waste...but DH would die if I asked him to use a flat and cover). My Dad's wife? She says it's gross. I usually say "so, it's not like you're changing her." She actually asked if we were really that poor! I was so shocked I couldn't think. I just said "well, actually, we have three kids on a government salary, so YES. AND it is not about money. I am tired of blowouts in her clothes." (Plus I didn't heal well after delivery and had the luxury of pads for 10 weeks...that will make a convert out of almost any woman...my poor baby must feel like that all the time.)

It is mostly her. My brother says I am crazy and I point out that his 11 year old's bedtime is 7pm...he says touche.

The babywearing insults piss my DH off the most. He likes that we carry her everywhere. My stepmom says she is spoiled, we say she is happy. Last time she said something I just said I plan to carry her until my back gives out and I will breastfeed until she decides she is done. If she is 6 and I am pumping into a thermos for her, then so be it.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeccarelli View Post
I am SO glad I am not the only one. It's funny because my sister loves CDs she thinks they are amazing, and my Dad is all for flats and covers (he hates the pockets and thinks they are a waste...but DH would die if I asked him to use a flat and cover). My Dad's wife? She says it's gross. I usually say "so, it's not like you're changing her." She actually asked if we were really that poor! I was so shocked I couldn't think. I just said "well, actually, we have three kids on a government salary, so YES. AND it is not about money. I am tired of blowouts in her clothes." (Plus I didn't heal well after delivery and had the luxury of pads for 10 weeks...that will make a convert out of almost any woman...my poor baby must feel like that all the time.)

It is mostly her. My brother says I am crazy and I point out that his 11 year old's bedtime is 7pm...he says touche.

The babywearing insults piss my DH off the most. He likes that we carry her everywhere. My stepmom says she is spoiled, we say she is happy. Last time she said something I just said I plan to carry her until my back gives out and I will breastfeed until she decides she is done. If she is 6 and I am pumping into a thermos for her, then so be it.

I will have to remember that. It is too funny!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
lavender dragonfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here's the way I look at it... We are all a little crazy in one way or another

The majority of the US doesn't use cloth
The majority of the US wouldn't think to bf past 6mo
The majority of the US doesn't baby wear
The majority of the US thinks co sleeping is unsafe
.... The majority of the US, sadly, is very misinformed
The majority of the WORLD uses cloth, bf's over a year, baby wears, cosleeps.

Those who think we are crazy are blindfolded, the don't see the big picture and probably never will. You are one of the first people that are opening that door for them... Even if they admit it or not. The next person they encounter, or the next ad they see for cloth, bfing, baby wearing, etc. will simply be reinforcing what your doing. It's not easy being the first, but trust me..... with time, time itself will back you up mama!

Coodos to you for standing your ground and doing what you believe is the right thing for your baby---- that has proven to be one of the hardest things as a new mom for me.