Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What to do when your family thinks you're nuts...

I agree it is truly non of their business what your parenting choices are. Most of my family is on board with the CDs and babywearing. We don't cosleep and I supplemented from day one so no issues there.

My MIL on the other hand actually said, "Cloth diapering is a step backward for women's rights and motherhood in general." I just left the room and took my son with me.

Some people will change and some people won't. But what I don't understand is why is it ALWAYS the MIL's that are the most resistant? Don't they want to get on our good side? We are the ones who take care of their grandchildren!

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree it is truly non of their business what your parenting choices are. Most of my family is on board with the CDs and babywearing. We don't cosleep and I supplemented from day one so no issues there.

My MIL on the other hand actually said, "Cloth diapering is a step backward for women's rights and motherhood in general." I just left the room and took my son with me.

Some people will change and some people won't. But what I don't understand is why is it ALWAYS the MIL's that are the most resistant? Don't they want to get on our good side? We are the ones who take care of their grandchildren!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pretty sure everyone thinks i am a little crazy-- even DH. They just don't say anything negative though and go along with all my "crazy" ideas. So I am fine with it.

My brother (30, single, w/6yr old DD) did ask he was going to have to change "those weird diapers" when he was going to watch my kids a couple weeks ago. LOL!!! I said yep but I would leave him the ones with aplix. he just laughed and said okay.

I did have to laugh at my mom--she had a cold at Thanksgiving and brought her own kleenex.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Treylen
Registered Users
seller

I'm sure my MIL thinks I'm a little crazy, but she's polite and doesn't say anything. She knows that I love and am doing a great job raising her grandchildren.

My mom is the worst. She said that I was spoiling my 2 WEEK OLD baby, and that I was going to ruin him for life by wearing him, letting him nurse frequently and cosleep. Let alone the fact that I did all of those things with my perfectly well-adjusted six-year-old. We had many discussions. I told her that when she said things like that (and only made negative comments) that it made me feel like she thought I was failing as a mother, though I knew that wasn't the case. She has made a conscious effort to try to not criticize, but it's impossible for her. I just ignore her. I've done the research, and I know I'm doing what's right for our family.
Treylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
DiannaVB
Registered Users

Your baby, your choice. That will usually shut them up but I say it with a mean face.
DiannaVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender dragonfly View Post
Here's the way I look at it... We are all a little crazy in one way or another

The majority of the US doesn't use cloth
The majority of the US wouldn't think to bf past 6mo
The majority of the US doesn't baby wear
The majority of the US thinks co sleeping is unsafe
.... The majority of the US, sadly, is very misinformed
The majority of the WORLD uses cloth, bf's over a year, baby wears, cosleeps.

Those who think we are crazy are blindfolded, the don't see the big picture and probably never will. You are one of the first people that are opening that door for them... Even if they admit it or not. The next person they encounter, or the next ad they see for cloth, bfing, baby wearing, etc. will simply be reinforcing what your doing. It's not easy being the first, but trust me..... with time, time itself will back you up mama!

Coodos to you for standing your ground and doing what you believe is the right thing for your baby---- that has proven to be one of the hardest things as a new mom for me.
Love this! I never thought of it that way, but we are kind of trail blazing it! Putting up with weird looks and ugly comments, while continuing with what we know is right for our kids is making it easier for our sons and daughters to do the same in the next generation! (we just need to remember how we feel now when our future daughters-in-law do something "crazy" with our grand kids )

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just have to share this... I raise my granddaughter and for obvious reasons,I didn't breast feed, but wudda if I cudda, and coslept and truly LOVE baby wearing.

I went shopping with DgrandD about 4 weeks old in the Moby wrap. Two older woman came up to me and asked me if I would tell them if I was carrying a REAL baby... Huh? Like, sure, I'm 40 and wearing a baby doll... I told them she was just like a real baby, she sleeps, takes a bottle, pees and poos just like a real baby... I swear they thought I should have been committed to the loony farm.
nana2peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana2peach View Post
I just have to share this... I raise my granddaughter and for obvious reasons,I didn't breast feed, but wudda if I cudda, and coslept and truly LOVE baby wearing.

I went shopping with DgrandD about 4 weeks old in the Moby wrap. Two older woman came up to me and asked me if I would tell them if I was carrying a REAL baby... Huh? Like, sure, I'm 40 and wearing a baby doll... I told them she was just like a real baby, she sleeps, takes a bottle, pees and poos just like a real baby... I swear they thought I should have been committed to the loony farm.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender dragonfly View Post
Here's the way I look at it... We are all a little crazy in one way or another

The majority of the US doesn't use cloth
The majority of the US wouldn't think to bf past 6mo
The majority of the US doesn't baby wear
The majority of the US thinks co sleeping is unsafe
.... The majority of the US, sadly, is very misinformed
The majority of the WORLD uses cloth, bf's over a year, baby wears, cosleeps.

Those who think we are crazy are blindfolded, the don't see the big picture and probably never will. You are one of the first people that are opening that door for them... Even if they admit it or not. The next person they encounter, or the next ad they see for cloth, bfing, baby wearing, etc. will simply be reinforcing what your doing. It's not easy being the first, but trust me..... with time, time itself will back you up mama!

Coodos to you for standing your ground and doing what you believe is the right thing for your baby---- that has proven to be one of the hardest things as a new mom for me.
Yes this! And I run into it in my family too.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

my mom was really against us switching to cloth. now not so bad . i just get crap on how my house isnt spotless & it is easy go do (keep clean & picked up when more than one picking up vs little one messing stuff up or one do all work & 1 watch kids it does not so much by oneself). i always get stuff like i said but then only mothers day or bday oh u are good mom but then poop on rest of things & way i do it or lack of currently.....