Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cheapy china diapers

I recently sold all my cheapy china pocket diapers (mostly alva), i wasn't having any issues with them but they havent been touched in over 2 months because of my newfound love of flats and covers and another reason was some things i read about china diapers scared me bigtime, not knowing what is in the diapers was a huge eye opener for me. One of the many many reasons for doing cloth is to not expose my babies to nasty chemicals and toxins so it made me nervous thinking i was exposing them to all that by choosing to use a cheap diaper! After patting myself on the back for getting rid of them i realized my favorite pocket diapers, diaper rite bamboo, are in the cheapy china diaper category-great! I am writing to diaper junction to see if they can give me any info on them so i can decide if they are ok to keep but what are everyones opinions on these kinds of diapers? Is there any evidence that these brands are safe and do not contain harmful things?

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cheapy china diapers

I also recently sold all mine because of the same reasons. I switched to all natural fibers and feel better about it.

I don't know any specific research that implies that there are harsh chemicals in these diapers but I just decided it wasn't worth the risk.

That is not to say that people who buy these are doing anything harmful to their children. Especially if there is no scientific research to back it up. To each their own as my mom likes to say.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
mrsbernstein
Registered Users

It's not just "cheapy" diapers that come from China, but I still don't want to put them on my son! So much comes out of China that is bad, that I try and stay away from their diapers totally (dog food, lead in toys...)

MrsB
mrsbernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post
It's not just "cheapy" diapers that come from China, but I still don't want to put them on my son! So much comes out of China that is bad, that I try and stay away from their diapers totally (dog food, lead in toys...)

MrsB
Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

I couldn't agree more. Not only are there the chemicals, but we need to support OUR country...not theirs. You could make your own pocket-one size diapers you know. Then you wouldn't have to worry. Just an idea. One Size Diaper Pattern

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't agree more! And i am LOL'ing about making my own, I can't sew to save my life! I do hope to learn someday though
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacandoit View Post
I couldn't agree more. Not only are there the chemicals, but we need to support OUR country...not theirs. You could make your own pocket-one size diapers you know. Then you wouldn't have to worry. Just an idea. One Size Diaper Pattern
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1487061

This might give you some more advice!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

please, where do you get the info on the standards of the diaper factories in china? diapersafari has a B1G1 deal on pockets and covers but I passed b/c I was worried about chemicals and slave labor. diaperrite and diapersafari get their stuff from the same manufacturer I hear- happy flute.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

If you are selling diapers in the US, you are supposed to have paperwork showing that they are CPSIA compliant. I'm sure that major companies like Diaper Rite and DiaperSafari can help you out with your questions.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote