Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Opinions please - doll for a boy

My 4yo daughter never cared much about stuffies or dolls, but she was the recipient of the ones in the house so my 20 month old son is never allowed to really do what he wants with them. My daughter all of the sudden has a renewed interest every time he picks one up. He loves stuffies and dolls so it's time for his own.

I know he likes soft body, so I'm set there. But my question is, should I get one in his image (blonde/blue, boy) or doesn't it matter? I won't be buying many dolls, I'm hoping for just one special friend for him until he can handle a bigger doll. The doll he goes for often has long, black yarn hair but I wonder if that's just due to circumstance. There are only 3 named dolls here. One with brown skin, one Corolle and the black haired dolly.

So would you buy a doll that looks like your son? Do you think it matters? Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Opinions please - doll for a boy

i know my mom found non squishy girl doll for me that looked like me cuz i liked that but i liked my others too. sounds like it wouldnt matter to your son. i think he would just like to have boy doll.. i sort of wish i had one of each as i have 2 girls & boy right now for kids.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

I have 2 boys with 2 boy dolls that look like them...I made them so I think it was more for sentimental value. They always choose a stuffed animal for play or bedtime and they never play with the dolls even though they are all kept together. I think they like that their "buddies" look like them but they are pretty large compared to their favorite stuffed animals. They tend to play more with the beanie baby sized stuffies that are floppy. If you want him to play with it I'd get one that feels the same as the ones he likes when you hug/squeeze it.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We own one doll (I have all boys). It is a Waldorf doll that was made in the likeness of my oldest. It is also anatomically correct. It gets some random play mostly being dressed up like Spider-Man. Lately it never gets put away! He is held and carried as my 4 year is role playing how he will hold and care for his new baby brother when he gets here. He supports his neck and sits on the couch with him with pillows under his arm etc. There is no shame with boys playing with dolls, they will be big brothers and one days fathers

This is our doll http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...394c827acb.jpg

Last edited by jessicanashville; 02-24-2013 at 03:46 AM.
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

so sweet. I didn't know you could get a Waldorf doll with a penis. That's cool.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

my boys each have a doll, They are waldorf dolls and i had the maker make them each with a different colour hair, so that the boys would be able to tell them apart, my boys look pretty much identical and i didnt want them fighting about whose doll was whose. No one cares that the doll looks (or doesnt look) like them
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it matters what the doll looks like, as long as it is HIS doll. If he has a favorite character you could get it to look like that if you're going with custom made.

I'd love a "woody" and a "spiderman" waldorf doll...but there's no way on earth DH would let me spend the $$$ on them.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post

so sweet. I didn't know you could get a Waldorf doll with a penis. That's cool.
I got it anatomically correct hoping it would help with potty learning I purchased it from Hillcountry Dollmaker on Etsy. It is so well made
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Bellaroo
Registered Users

We bought our 2 yr old son a doll from Ikea (the cheap $9.99 ones as we weren't sure how long is love affair with dolls would last - turns out we could have spent a lot more ).

I initially gave him the blue eyed/blond hair baby doll and it held his interest for a few seconds than he tossed it aside. Since he didn't seem to want it I put in back in the bin and we started to walk away. Lo and behold, our son goes back to the bin and picks the doll that looks the least like him and held onto him the entire time we were in the store. So in our case our son clearly did not want the doll that looked like him. He sleeps with his baby every night and pushes him around town in a fab pink stroller.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00196304/
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm cheap, so I'd buy the nicest inexpensive doll I could find, and couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it is soft and well made. We have black, white, blonde, brunette, orange...you name it dolls here.

My girls each have one nice doll-a Bitty Baby, and DS likes to play with them too. They were both gifts, so I had no say in what they looked like.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote