Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Going to CA: best attractions/parks for younger kids?

ok, new topic
Which are the best parks for kids ages 2-5? Should we skip Universal Studios? What about the Zoo? Sea World?

I'm starting to wonder if the City Pass is worth it, since I think my kids may be bored senseless at Universal.
Thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------
We are planning a trip in June with my bff. I considered doing Legoland because DD (5 yrs) likes Legos. Today, my bff tells me that her boyfriend doesn't want to go Legoland since they did it already 2 yrs ago when their son was 18 months. Apparently he wasn't impressed.

So now I"m wondering if we should do it or not. DD will be 5.5 and DS will be 2 and 4 months. I was told DS won't be tall enough to do a lot of the rides.

The tickets are about $10-15 less than a one day pass to Disney. So should we pass up Legoland and do an extra day at Disneyland? We are planning on doing the City pass so we will have 3 days at Disney/California Adventure.

I don't plan to go back to Cali for another 3-4 yrs if that makes a difference.

Advertisement

Last edited by corinne76; 02-16-2013 at 12:00 AM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can you school me on Legoland California?

We went to Legoland a few months ago (DD 6, DS 4, and DS 2). Under 3 gets in free, and we had the Buy-Adult-Get-Child-Free coupons so the five of us got in for very cheap. We loved it. To be sure, the younger two boys couldn't ride many of the rides, but there was plenty for them to do (Lego build-n-race, 4-D movies, the awesome city replicas, ...)

Definitely worth the admission especially with those discounts. Less crowded than Disney.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
We went to Legoland a few months ago (DD 6, DS 4, and DS 2). Under 3 gets in free, and we had the Buy-Adult-Get-Child-Free coupons so the five of us got in for very cheap. We loved it. To be sure, the younger two boys couldn't ride many of the rides, but there was plenty for them to do (Lego build-n-race, 4-D movies, the awesome city replicas, ...)

Definitely worth the admission especially with those discounts. Less crowded than Disney.
Thanks. Did your DD love it?

Where did you get the coupons for it?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Everyone loved it. My kids aren't really even that into Legos, and still had a lot of fun.

Coupons are found in the Lego magazines. I got some from nice mamas here. Last year Life Cereal had a promotional coupon on their cereal box and some people clipped and save those. Not sure about this year. But I know they're always in the Lego magazines. Try posting an ISO.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have had memberships on and off since it opened. My kids love it. It is really geared to the under 9 group and almost all the rides can be ridden by a 5yr old with an adult. The thing that makes it better than disney for me is that it is never crowded. I felt comfortable allowing the kids (when they were younger) to walk without holding my hand. Something that I could never do at disney. Lines are never more than 30 minutes long for the most popular rides. A lot of rides you can get on within 5 minutes.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
Everyone loved it. My kids aren't really even that into Legos, and still had a lot of fun.

Coupons are found in the Lego magazines. I got some from nice mamas here. Last year Life Cereal had a promotional coupon on their cereal box and some people clipped and save those. Not sure about this year. But I know they're always in the Lego magazines. Try posting an ISO.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Xblessed View Post
We have had memberships on and off since it opened. My kids love it. It is really geared to the under 9 group and almost all the rides can be ridden by a 5yr old with an adult. The thing that makes it better than disney for me is that it is never crowded. I felt comfortable allowing the kids (when they were younger) to walk without holding my hand. Something that I could never do at disney. Lines are never more than 30 minutes long for the most popular rides. A lot of rides you can get on within 5 minutes.
that's awesome.

The legend for rides on the website confuses me. Many say 36" and have a pic of a kid, and then they say like 40" and show a kid and adult. Can anyone help decipher?
DS is almost 36" is why I ask.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

We took the kids when DD was 4yo and DS was 2. DD LOVED it and begs to go again.

OTOH, DS was in tears ALL day. He hated it b/c he couldn't ride ANYTHING (there were 2-3 rides in the WHOLE park that he could ride and only a couple other attractions, ie models/movies). Rides that were identical mechanically to rides at Disneyland that he'd been riding since birth required that he be at least 3 yo (some required 4yo) and 36" (of which he was neither). We vowed NEVER to go back until our youngest child was both 4yo AND 36".

We stick to Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm (Camp Snoopy is great for little kids), SeaWorld, and the San Diego Zoo. Those are all much more small child friendly and still are great for older kids. Legoland really only works for for kids 4-10ish.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
We took the kids when DD was 4yo and DS was 2. DD LOVED it and begs to go again.

OTOH, DS was in tears ALL day. He hated it b/c he couldn't ride ANYTHING (there were 2-3 rides in the WHOLE park that he could ride and only a couple other attractions, ie models/movies). Rides that were identical mechanically to rides at Disneyland that he'd been riding since birth required that he be at least 3 yo (some required 4yo) and 36" (of which he was neither). We vowed NEVER to go back until our youngest child was both 4yo AND 36".

We stick to Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm (Camp Snoopy is great for little kids), SeaWorld, and the San Diego Zoo. Those are all much more small child friendly and still are great for older kids. Legoland really only works for for kids 4-10ish.
This is what I'm afraid of. I already know DS won't be able to go on certain rides in Cars Land and I dont want to bum him out even more. He will be 36", but does he have to meet both height and age?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Not Lego land, never been there, but if you want to go some where with rides for little kids (including a roller coaster) try adventure city.

http://m.adventurecity.com/default.aspx

We went for DS birthday last year and had a blast. Even the adults. It is small, has an outside area for picnics (with tables) and is cheap compared to Disney. We spent all day there and rode everything a Zillion times. DS still talks about how he got to ride the roller coaster all by himself. They have an arcade too, and surprisingly cheap.

They also have a petting zoo. And a fun train.

It is a nice place, way smaller than Disney. You wouldn't even be able to get lost of you tried!
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I took ds in April he was exactly 2.5 years old. He was able to ride a lot of the rides. I remember being impressed with it being geared towards younger children. It was not over crowded and there were several free play areas. We enjoyed it so much we went back a second day.