Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Turning Prefolds into snappable AI2 inserts for daycare

So there's been a few thread recently about people wanting to use tri-fold prefolds and covers at daycare but unsure if they are simple enough.

Last night I had a thought, to turn Prefolds into snappable AI2 inserts for daycare. If you get a AI2 covers with snaps, size 20 KAM snaps, and KAM pliers this shouldn't be too tough. (or I guess you could add snaps to a cover -- I would worry more about messing up and causing leaks though)

I had a best bottom trainer here and a softbum cover and their snaps were compatible with size 20 KAM snap. I'm told the AI2 cover from imagine uses size 20 snaps as well. (GroVia does not use KAM snaps).

I was thinking a cover with 2 snaps would be best to hold insert into cover.

First 2 snaps would be to hold together the tri-fold. After folding, a snap in the middle of one edge & one at the middle of the opposite crease to snap the tri-fold together.

Then one at the top and the bottom to snap into the cover. I would probably put these snaps on the flap side, so the "middle"/back of the tri-fold facing out. This way no snaps are touching baby.

Unsnap and wash.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone I may just try it myself someday.

BTW: maybe to simplify some and use with any cover -- if you just added the snaps to secure prefold into a tri-folded insert -- maybe that would make it simple enough?

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-23-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Re: Turning Prefolds into snappable AI2 inserts for daycare

It doesnt look like she makes these anymore and it doesnt need to be stay dry, but this with snaps would work perfectly and you wouldnt have to alter the prefold.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/75806443...=usr_faveitems
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So would anyone think about adding KAM snaps to their inserts? My thought was to actually take this a step farther and add snaps for say a joey bunz hemp inserts to keep in in place in a snapable AI2 cover.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-23-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

I have added snaps to a few CBIs and used them with Tuttos. LOVE it.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Glendoramomma
Registered Users
seller

Love this idea. I had actually been thinking of something similar but don't have the tools to do it myself so was going to look for a WAHM. But my thought was that I wanted a snap-able bamboo trifold with a stay-dry layer on just the part that touches the baby. So just a rectangle piece on the top of it when folded. Maybe something like this already exists but I haven't seen it. Rainforest Babies has a snapable trifolded bamboo. Maybe I could just add a stay dry material to the top of that. Im just bummed that Grovia has it's own snaps because that's the cover I'd want to use. I'm not a fan of the exposed PUL.
Glendoramomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendoramomma View Post
Love this idea. I had actually been thinking of something similar but don't have the tools to do it myself so was going to look for a WAHM. But my thought was that I wanted a snap-able bamboo trifold with a stay-dry layer on just the part that touches the baby. So just a rectangle piece on the top of it when folded. Maybe something like this already exists but I haven't seen it. Rainforest Babies has a snapable trifolded bamboo. Maybe I could just add a stay dry material to the top of that. Im just bummed that Grovia has it's own snaps because that's the cover I'd want to use. I'm not a fan of the exposed PUL.
What about the diaper safari bamboo inserts? they have a stay dry top. you could add some snaps to the back side of them to hold it in place, or as described in the op you could have them snap together then snap into the cover.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used to lie awake at night trying to think of a way to do this. I never got around to doing it, though. Would have saved me a fortune.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

how many layers can the snap go through? I am planning on making best bottom hemp inserts. they are $6/each new and it would save me a ton. I have all the stuff except the snaps.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You should ask your care provider first. My DD's preschool uses her aplix Flips with trifolded GMD prefolds, no problem. They were actually happy about it bc they said kids potty learn faster when they are diapered with cotton cloth diapers. They don't even have me preload the prefolds into the Flips, they do it themselves, they said it's easy and they have been doing this awhile and can handle it lol.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
You should ask your care provider first. My DD's preschool uses her aplix Flips with trifolded GMD prefolds, no problem. They were actually happy about it bc they said kids potty learn faster when they are diapered with cotton cloth diapers. They don't even have me preload the prefolds into the Flips, they do it themselves, they said it's easy and they have been doing this awhile and can handle it lol.
We've already cloth diapered there. They will do about anything but they prefer something preloaded. We just used trifolded prefolds in bummis covers and that worked fine. At the time I thought of this though many people were panicking on this forum that even that was too difficult. Now I am trying to come up with my AI2 plan for #2 and we like snap in AI2 but I dont really like any of the systems completely as they stand today so they idea is also my potential alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathplyr View Post
how many layers can the snap go through? I am planning on making best bottom hemp inserts. they are $6/each new and it would save me a ton. I have all the stuff except the snaps.
Honestly I don't have much experience with KAM snaps so I don't know!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-23-2013 at 05:26 PM.