Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
angelhaiku
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Diapers not absorbing

I purchased most of my lil joeys off of here.... I have noticed they are staring to leak, however the two that I bought brand new can make it through the night with no leaks. I put some water on them and it just sits there... So no wonder.

I have the rockin green funk rock, I've also heard of doing dawn. What should I do? I haven't CDed long enough to know what issue this is. Please help

My wash routine is 1 cold wash, then one hot wash with detergent and a dry on delicate, then line drying the rest of the way.

I don't use any softners

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

Re: Diapers not absorbing

You need to strip them. There are multiple ways. I used baking soda and vinegar in a hot wash, then several hot washes with nothing. Some use blue dawn.

I recommend washing in Sport Wash
http://www.atsko.com/products/laundr...detergent.html

When I used it for washing diapers, I never had repelling or stinkies.

dd 10yo
dd rescued, as her daddy says, 1/31/14. Read her birth story http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post17225488
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like your current routine is good, way to go on having a simple wash approach!

There are LOTS of ways to strip. RLR, Calgon, you'll hear many.

It is normal for stay dry fabrics to be slow to absorb but as you've noticed, not that slow.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

Kanga Care says that putting water on top of the diapers isn't a good way to test for absorbency since it also needs the pressure of the baby to make them absorb. I had an absorption problem with a lil joey that I used Imse Vimse stain soap on, and when I emailed Kanga Care, they sent me an email with details of how to strip (a Tide strip or a Dawn strip):

===================
I would recommend to strip your diaper following either one of these methods:
Tide Stripping

Wash 10-15 diapers in your cold "rinse and spin" cycle on the setting for a large load.
Wash them on hot wash / cold rinse with full amount of recommended detergent for a large load (Tide preferred for stripping, even for sensitive babies because the Tide will be completely washed out).
Re-wash on hot wash / cold rinse two more times without any detergent.*If your baby’s skin is too sensitive for Tide, follow up with a regular wash with 1/4 regular amount of Ecover Detergent. This should sufficiently strip your diapers.
Dry pockets and inserts on low heat. Remove pockets and finish drying inserts on high if needed.
Going forward, wash your diapers 10-15 at a time on the large load setting with 1/4 the recommended amount of detergent.
Try one on your baby and see if the problem has been resolved. (Note: pouring water on the diaper is not an accurate test to see if the stripping has worked.)

Dawn Stripping

Place all your diapers and inserts into the bath tub.
Turn on the water as hot as it will go. Please use caution!
Fill until there is about two inches of water in the tub, enough to fully saturate all the diapers.
While the water is running, pour about 1/4 of a cup of Ultra Dawn into the tub.
Let the diapers soak until the water has cooled a bit. It’s a good idea to use latex dish gloves while you handle the hot diapers! Once you can comfortably place your hands in the water, scrub the diapers with your hands using a back and forth method rubbing the fabric against each other. You can also use a scrub brush if that’s easier for you.
After you have scrubbed all the diapers and inserts, drain the tub and load the diapers into the washing machine. Wash them without any detergent until you no longer see any bubbles from the Dawn.
Dry pockets and inserts on low heat. Remove pockets and finish drying inserts on high if needed.
Going forward, wash your diapers 10-15 at a time on the large load setting with 1/4 the recommended amount of detergent.
Try one on your baby and see if the problem has been resolved. (Note: pouring water on the diaper is not an accurate test to see if the stripping has worked.)

Last edited by shoebert; 02-14-2013 at 11:19 AM.
shoebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

btw, I remember seeing somewhere (and I of course can't remember where) that using Dawn in your washer will void the warranty, and it's obvious to a tech whether or not you've used it in your washer. Just FYI. But it seems like Dawn is a popular way to strip diapers.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebert View Post
btw, I remember seeing somewhere (and I of course can't remember where) that using Dawn in your washer will void the warranty, and it's obvious to a tech whether or not you've used it in your washer. Just FYI. But it seems like Dawn is a popular way to strip diapers.
Do people never wash dishclothes?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Do people never wash dishclothes?
I think that's different from putting Dawn in the washer and letting it suds up. I'll see if I can find the link to the article when I get home, I may have it bookmarked.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
angelhaiku
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you so much! I think I'll give the dawn a try. Maybe another wash thru with RLR as well.

And I get what kanga care is saying, but the brand new ones absorb fine. Soo...