Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
How do we make the most of this?

My almost 13 month old can definitely control his bladder. I know that's nothing to brag about, there are lots of infants in the ECC forums who can do that. But it struck me the other night that we could probably be building on this and we aren't.

He's always waited to pee until the diaper was on him. I don't think he's ever really had an accident, except once when he pooped in the bathtub (he looked surprised, I think he expected a fart ). Anyway, this week he's had a little diaper rash so I've been letting him run around his room nude after his bath. The other night he started looking upset and clutching his privates, and after a while I asked if he needed a diaper. He walked over to me, laid down on the prefold, and as soon as it was on he peed. Yay!

So now I am confident that he is aware and able... but he associates diapers, not the toilet, with peeing. We have a little seat for him, and we put him on there occasionally, but it might as well be a gymnastics beam. He has no inclination to pee on it. I've thought about putting a prefold on the seat to help him transition? Something like that? I've never potty trained a baby who isn't verbal yet, and ECC seems to be geared toward babies who don't already have a pee-association.

Ideas?

Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
77Lipen
Registered Users

Take him to the bathroom when you have to pee. Do what he does, clutch your 'privates' say, oh I have to go pee!!! And take him with you to see what it's all about.

Use a reward to get him to just try sitting on the toilet seat you have (a smartie/m&m, a sticker, a action man... I dunno... A book to look at even).

Avoid flushing with him right away... That's scary for some kids (they might think they'll get sucked in.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do we make the most of this?

Start putting him on the potty every 30 minutes or so. You sit on the big one, he sits on the little one, make up a potty song and sing it, and if he goes, make a HUGE deal out of it. Cheer, dance, as much positive reinforcement as you can cram into a minute You can try putting a prefold in the bottom if you want to try to reinforce the idea. Mine were both ready that early too, and that's what we did
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
I think I will try this tomorrow. Tonighthe was nude again and I saw him pulling and looking uncomfortable, but I really wanted his bum to air out so I kept putting off diapering him. Finally he peed on the floor-he got really upset and ran over to me crying. Wish I had taken him to the potty instead of ignoring his cues! I'm home all day tomorrow so I think we will try for real.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote