Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
reybar-2009
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Valentine's Day vent

I don't think valentines day is just about romantic love and sex it is also about friendship. I am from mexico and over there we call it "dia del amor y la amistad" Love and friendship day.

Advertisement

Last edited by reybar-2009; 02-14-2013 at 12:00 PM.
reybar-2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
Maybe I should explain why I find this so strange or absurd as I have said above. In my experience Valentine's day is about mystery and the chance to express your love secretly. It is about the chase and the catch and the sealing of deals.

You would buy flowers for the girl you love or chocolates for the guy you like and not sign your name to it. The person who receives it has the fun to try and guess who it comes from. The sender may or may not reveal who they are. Some girls/guys gets lots and lots.

For married couples/established it is about celebrating their love for each other. It is about waking up the romance again.

So, it really makes me feel uncomfortable that it is celebrated by toddlers.
Haha, yes. Maybe it's just because this is the first time I've got a toddler with me on Valentine's Day, but I really am - shocked, if not surprised, that the marketing for Valentine's Day has saturated the children's market too. I'd always thought of it as a made-up holiday, kind of cheesy, at it's best raunchy, focused on saccharine verse and sex toys - but I'd never associated it with children before. Middle school and high school kids, maybe.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Our school wanted them written as "to my friend" and sign their name. No names...no treats (allergies). I am grateful for the lack of candy! I could see your confusion because your traditions are different. I am sorry the teacher response was that...at least she has extra cards.

I think it is great to celebrate every holiday...I want my kids to see me giving and receiving gifts. I want them to learn the purpose behind each holiday. As someone who didnt celebrate any but religious I think it is ever so important to celebrate any chance we can.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads
I think that is pretty normal here. My oldest is 16, and she STILL brings individual Valentines for her friends

We do little goodie bags and slide the Valentines cards in them. One for each classmate, and they each have a few pieces of candy in it.
What she said! I spent 2 hours with my 16 yo making cards last night.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
I'm surprised there were instructions at all. Haven't you seen the isles of boxes of cards for kids that are like $5 in all the stores for the past month or two?

It's not absurd, no need to be rude about we weird americans and our holidays. I'm quite sure there are even weirder things in africa than us giving kids cute cards and a little candy. It's not about sex, it's just a sweet holiday. I am almost 30 and we did this as kids too. It's normal. You've been here a number of years correct? I am really shocked you've never seen all those boxes of cards or talked to anyone with school age kids, etc.
I didn't she think she was rude at all. It's reasonable for her to find it absurd when its totally different than what she's used to. I'm familiar with the way Valentine's is done here because I've been here my whole life. I have a 5 year old, but because he's not in school, I haven't walked past the cards, nor have I discussed cards with any of my friends.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I'm surprised there were instructions at all. Haven't you seen the isles of boxes of cards for kids that are like $5 in all the stores for the past month or two?

It's not absurd, no need to be rude about we weird americans and our holidays. I'm quite sure there are even weirder things in africa than us giving kids cute cards and a little candy. It's not about sex, it's just a sweet holiday. I am almost 30 and we did this as kids too. It's normal. You've been here a number of years correct? I am really shocked you've never seen all those boxes of cards or talked to anyone with school age kids, etc.
I am not being rude when I say it is absurd. I am saying that it is incongruous to me and unreasonable TO ME. I really do not see how kids need to celebrate this holiday.

I am sure you are familiar with the concept that you only notice things that you are interested in or aware of. You can walk past something everyday and not notice it until it is somehow brought to your attention? I'm sure there is a name for the phenomenon. Anyway, that is how I have managed to live in this country for 4 years without seeing those cards (I know what they look like now!)

I must not have seen my DSD and DSS on Valentine's day in the last 4 years because I never remember them getting home with candy bags and cards from all the other kids in class.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
In my experience Valentine's day is about mystery and the chance to express your love secretly. It is about the chase and the catch and the sealing of deals.

Valentines, in this area anyway, is a chance to show a little extra attention/appreication/admiration(love) to those that we love. The above is a very different way to view the holiday in my experience. However I wouldnt call it 'absurd' or 'strange'.....

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Valentines Day is about love for my family, not just romantic love and sex. Dh bought a small gift for me and each of the kids. My mother sent gifts for each of us as well. We homeschool, but my kids make cards for their good friends. It's just fun.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
Haha, yes. Maybe it's just because this is the first time I've got a toddler with me on Valentine's Day, but I really am - shocked, if not surprised, that the marketing for Valentine's Day has saturated the children's market too. I'd always thought of it as a made-up holiday, kind of cheesy, at it's best raunchy, focused on saccharine verse and sex toys - but I'd never associated it with children before. Middle school and high school kids, maybe.
Yeah, that is my take on it too. You are South African too aren't you?

Last edited by vatblack; 02-14-2013 at 12:08 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I totally understand OP. I have strong connections w/ my father's country, Australia, and we have holidays here in the US that aren't anything there. I do remember doing the little valentines when I was in elementary school, but I too see Valentine's day as more of an adult holiday. It can be about friendship, I suppose but I've always viewed it as LOVE.

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote