Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Her SMART MOUTH is driving me NUTS!

The red and green disk thing sounds neat. We may have to implement this. Where did you discover this method or did you make it up? Just curious.

We simply ignore requests that are rude. Outright rude behavior that does not involve a request we try to redirect. If redirection doesn't work then we usually move to a time-out. All though at her stage (28 months) most of her rudeness is cute we won't tolerate it. I think everyone needs to learn respect and it is honestly easier to teach it at this age then to try and undue it when they are 6 or 7.

No matter what you do it is the consistenty that will matter. If you are wishy washy it will keep happening because they are trying to figure out when it is acceptable and when you will blow a fuse. Try to remain calm each and every time. Teach that all though the behavior is unacceptable it's not going to get a rise out of you it just isn't tolerated.

Advertisement

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Her SMART MOUTH is driving me NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
well let the flaming begin.....
I use white vinegar for bad words and backtalking.
a very small measuring spoon but it works like a charm.
My girls know not to talk to me that way at all.
tudeness and disrespect are not tolerated here
hope it gets better for you soon!!!

Your girls will always remember this. I know it is working but chances are they will not respect the decision when they are grown.

Consider what you would do if your husband did this to you every time he felt you talk backed to him or were disrespectful or argumentative?

I certainly don't support tolerating disrespect. We don't allow it either. It sounds like you feel comfortable with the choice but try to think of the long term message you are sending. And what happens when you are not around or when no one is around to put vinegar in their mouths? Anyway, I don't pretend that this going to screw them up or permanently harm them. That's just silly but I'm sure you're a great mom and could come up with something just as productive to nip the back talk and disrespect. After all, it is really the consistency that stops it - I promise it doesn't take vinegar to stop it. Plus, by using a different method you can teach your girls how to counter people that are disrespectful to them and arm them with ways to respond to disrespect. By using this method they will have no disposable tools that they can use unless it is with their own children.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote