Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

How to incorporate legos?

Just curious to see some ideas on this.

My DD (6) is SUPER duper into legos. She loves them.

I have never seen anything occupy so much of her time. Ever. She can sit for like, an entire 90 minutes just building and designing and looking at pieces.... Longest I've ever seen her sit by herself without having to do so.

Anyway, I don't know if this is something I should be keeping record of on her school records (I keep record of what we do each day). Is this something that counts towards her learning?? What subject is it? Art?

And if it's not something that counts towards her learning experience, what can I use to incorporate legos into her schooling?

(I keep track of all the schooling stuff we do each day b/c we have to have an evaluation done at the end of each year which includes a review of our daily activities)

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to incorporate legos?

You can make Legos be anything you want them to be.

DS will take the basic blocks and build letters. (language arts)
When I taught 1st grade, the kids would use Legos to build a collaborative scene and then each of them would write a story about it (LA)

Sorting, patterning, using them as manipultives for adding and subtracting or fractions (Math)

Build various structures from history (history-obviously)

in high school chem, we used legos to build molecules (a little advanced, but they can have a scientific use)

or maybe something easier like using the to build a model of whatever you are studying (dinosaur habitat, ocean creature, etc.)
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about say she is taking an architecture elective!

Kristin had some great ideas. :thumbups:

My boys love Legos also. They build, build, build. My oldest loves the sets and loves to follow the directions and my younger one loves to create his own stuff.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

How should I record it? Or should i?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there Kiliki!

I am SO glad to hear about your DD loving her Legos and how she is SO involved in her play w/ them.

I was actually a part of a mailing list for educators from Legos but we don't buy them so I took myself off. Surely you could get on that mailing list and get several ideas.

I did a quick search on the internet for Legos curriculum and came up w/ this:
http://www.legoeducation.us/eng/cate...cts/homeschool
or just check out Legoeducation.com

I love the suggestions from the PPs. Legos can be used for SO much.

Have your DD seen the work of Nathan Sawaya? We went to see an exhibit of his a few yrs ago. Look @ what you can accomplish when you play w/ Legos all day!

By the way does you DD play w/ the 'girl' set or does she just use the regular set? I saw an ad in a magazine about how Legos is making girls sets. I know this is because they want to tap into that market.

Best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At currclicks there is a free lego online program. Every month they build something and it has a monthly theme. Every week in the month is the same, but you can find all the old programs archived once you sign up for the class.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

of course you can use them for creativity, and also for counting, etc.
You can print letters on sticker sheet and stick letters to legos, then built with them to practice spelling, etc.
Similarly, you could put number sticker, greater than, less than, equal stickers, etc etc to practice math skills.

You could use them as a play piece on learning board games, or put them on map to learn map skills.

You could look at the shadows sun makes with legos to learn about science, build something and sell them to each other to learn money skill, create motion picture movie, and do acting with legos people.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much, I am seriously loving these suggestions! Esp the lego club!we are so doing that!

Still confused about what to call free play with legos, though. How would I record that for her school records? Is "free play with legos" recognized typically as a learning activity? Just don't want to get scoffed at when her eval is done....
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you need extra time for you records? Are you looking to boost them?

IMO, but I have no experience , I would only count planned activities and I would record it as "math: lego building project 30 minutes" (Or however you do it, but you get the idea.) I personally would not give it it's own heading or subject if that makes sense. But, again, I really have no clue. So I should just

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-15-2013 at 07:07 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

could group, count being math ish. buiding different things as artsy...build ohld structures history. build letters like other said words & spelling that way.